[tears] Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts
2021-08-01 14:05:36 UTC
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts

https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes
Steve Dodds
2021-08-01 22:24:46 UTC
I remember reading it back in the day, the first part was familiar, but the rest of your review didn't ring any bells, so I guess the story didn't stick with me. Since the book is not in my library that means I traded it in for a better book 20 years ago.
Jack Bohn
2021-08-02 14:25:57 UTC
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes
I remember reading it back in the day, the first part was familiar, but the rest of your review didn't ring any bells, so I guess the story didn't stick with me. Since the book is not in my library that means I traded it in for a better book 20 years ago.
John Maddox Roberts sounds like a name that should be familiar, but, looking him up, it seems I've read none of his work. And the cover... well, I've seen more spaceship collision covers than seems likely - the most recent with the title "The Battering Rams of Space" - but this specific configuration is a miss.
-Jack
Scott Lurndal
2021-08-02 14:56:27 UTC
On Sunday, August 1, 2021 at 8:05:40 AM UTC-6, James Nicoll wrote:=20
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts=20
=20
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes=20
I remember reading it back in the day, the first part was familiar, but t=
he rest of your review didn't ring any bells, so I guess the story didn't s=
tick with me. Since the book is not in my library that means I traded it in=
for a better book 20 years ago.
John Maddox Roberts sounds like a name that should be familiar, but, lookin=
g him up, it seems I've read none of his work. And the cover... well, I've=
seen more spaceship collision covers than seems likely - the most recent w=
ith the title "The Battering Rams of Space" - but this specific configurati=
on is a miss.
The only Roberts I have is _Cestus Dei_; the protagonist is Father Miles,
a pastisch of james bond and Miles Vokosigan who is dispatched to
the Flavian system to bring it back into the RC fold.
Thomas Koenig
2021-08-02 16:11:41 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes
I remember reading it back in the day, the first part was familiar, but the rest of your review didn't ring any bells, so I guess the story didn't stick with me. Since the book is not in my library that means I traded it in for a better book 20 years ago.
John Maddox Roberts sounds like a name that should be familiar,
Him of Decius Caecilius Metellus fame - the detective at the time of
the failing Republic who almost, but not quite, manages to turn the
tide for the Republic (and usually gets banished for his efforts).
And, of course, being a Roman, he is suitably decadent :-)

The author wrote cleverly inverwove the Roman patron/client system
into this novels, the first time I have ever seen this in popular
fiction.
William Hyde
2021-08-02 20:38:32 UTC
Post by Thomas Koenig
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes
I remember reading it back in the day, the first part was familiar, but the rest of your review didn't ring any bells, so I guess the story didn't stick with me. Since the book is not in my library that means I traded it in for a better book 20 years ago.
John Maddox Roberts sounds like a name that should be familiar,
Him of Decius Caecilius Metellus fame - the detective at the time of
the failing Republic who almost, but not quite, manages to turn the
tide for the Republic (and usually gets banished for his efforts).
And, of course, being a Roman, he is suitably decadent :-)
The author wrote cleverly inverwove the Roman patron/client system
into this novels, the first time I have ever seen this in popular
fiction.
Interesting to compare this, which takes a cynical Optimate view, with Steven Saylor's "Roma sub Rosa" which takes a disillusioned populares view of the times. Both series have long since stopped
progressing, though.

The only SF of his that I have read is his unfinished alt-hist, "Hannibal's
Children". Not IMHO nearly as good as SPQR but amusing enough.

William Hyde
Robert Carnegie
2021-08-03 11:23:33 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes
I remember reading it back in the day, the first part was familiar, but the rest of your review didn't ring any bells, so I guess the story didn't stick with me. Since the book is not in my library that means I traded it in for a better book 20 years ago.
John Maddox Roberts sounds like a name that should be familiar, but, looking him up, it seems I've read none of his work.
Perhaps <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Madox_Ford>
(originally Joseph Leopold Ford Hermann Madox Hueffer)

Or his grandfather <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Madox_Brown>

I'm not aware that either of them did sci fi...

Other Maddoxes abound, if that's the right plural. ;-)
Kevrob
2021-08-07 04:02:55 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by James Nicoll
Space Angel (Space Angel, book 1) by John Maddox Roberts
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/like-a-million-eyes
Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaangel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first animation work of the great Alex Toth!

http://www.toonopedia.com/spangel.htm
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Jack Bohn
John Maddox Roberts sounds like a name that should be familiar, but, looking him up, it seems I've read none of his work.
Perhaps <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Madox_Ford>
(originally Joseph Leopold Ford Hermann Madox Hueffer)
Or his grandfather <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Madox_Brown>
I'm not aware that either of them did sci fi...
Other Maddoxes abound, if that's the right plural. ;-)
Well, you stopped short of making a Madrox the Multiple Man reference, thank you.
(John M. (apparently for Milo) Ford, depending on how far my mind wanders.)