YASID: astronaut returns to Earth, in quarantine, very sick...
danny burstein
2021-07-05 05:22:10 UTC
Something or another jogged my memory about this one,
which I might have read anytime between six months
and 30 years ago...

(All together now, *sigh*)

Scenario: Astronaut returns to Earth after some lengthy
trip or orbits. He's in isolation/quarantine because
he's sick and getting worse.

Finally he gets a friend of his to... let "normal"
(as opposed to super cleaned) regular outside air
into his isolation chamber, and he starts getting better.

Reason (if, big if, I'm remembering correctly), his
immune system basically shut down becuse there was
nothing with him during his mission, and letting
in the misc. viruses, etc., that are always in standard
Earth air kicked his body back into whack.

Sound at all familiar?

Thanks muchly

***@panix.com
2021-07-13 21:46:18 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Something or another jogged my memory about this one,
which I might have read anytime between six months
and 30 years ago...
(All together now, *sigh*)
Scenario: Astronaut returns to Earth after some lengthy
trip or orbits. He's in isolation/quarantine because
he's sick and getting worse.
Finally he gets a friend of his to... let "normal"
(as opposed to super cleaned) regular outside air
into his isolation chamber, and he starts getting better.
Reason (if, big if, I'm remembering correctly), his
immune system basically shut down becuse there was
nothing with him during his mission, and letting
in the misc. viruses, etc., that are always in standard
Earth air kicked his body back into whack.
Sound at all familiar?
Thanks muchly
Bump? Sorry, no bells rung, except that the story
probably has to be from before long sessions in space
were a thing, at least. So pre Skylab. But also if they
sent just one guy, that hasn't been usual for a while.

Unless there were several space longtermers already
but this is the one who got sick.

Certain authors had a speciality of medical stories too.
Murray Leinster, whoever that was. James White,
Sector General.

However, I don't think that the immune system works like
that, or does it...

And James White wrote one nice story about the animals
brought on a space mission who developed super intelligence
as a result, and really, biology doesn't work like that, either.

What animals? Oh... laboratory mice... and ship's cat.

Anyway. A completely different story of what will happen
to the first human in space. A story blown up as soon as
someone did.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thanasphere>

In James White's _Major Operation_ there's an alien
early space mission observed by the benevolent Federation.
The ship is leaking and tumbling and the Federation ship
uses tractor beams to stabilise it. The alien urgently fires
thrusters to resume tumbling.

The alien turns out to be a Drambon Roller, a sea creature
formed like a truck tire which moves by rolling itself along...
which also is how its blood circulation system operates.
If it isn't turning then it's dying.

A fairly cute scene has our favourite James White doctor
trying out the universal brain recording from the Drambon
astronaut, which, as usual, convinces him that he is one.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2021-07-13 22:05:58 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[...]
Murray Leinster was Will Jenkins.

The description made me think of one of his "Med" stories, but as I
recall that was on an exo-planet, and the problem was that there was
no woodsmoke in the air.
danny burstein
2021-07-13 22:17:37 UTC
In <5d8b6252-e289-4a2d-8aec-***@googlegroups.com> Robert Carnegie <***@excite.com> writes:

[snip]
Post by Robert Carnegie
In James White's _Major Operation_ there's an alien
early space mission observed by the benevolent Federation.
The ship is leaking and tumbling and the Federation ship
uses tractor beams to stabilise it. The alien urgently fires
thrusters to resume tumbling.
The alien turns out to be a Drambon Roller, a sea creature
formed like a truck tire which moves by rolling itself along...
which also is how its blood circulation system operates.
If it isn't turning then it's dying.
I forget who it was (I'm thinking Niven...) who also
used the Drambon in one of his stories, and in
a discussion of it mentioned specifically that the
Drambon was from another author (are you sure
it was White?) and he loved the concept so much
he called the first writer to get permission...

Might have been the other way around, of course.
***@panix.com
2021-07-14 04:17:41 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[snip]
Post by Robert Carnegie
In James White's _Major Operation_ there's an alien
early space mission observed by the benevolent Federation.
The ship is leaking and tumbling and the Federation ship
uses tractor beams to stabilise it. The alien urgently fires
thrusters to resume tumbling.
The alien turns out to be a Drambon Roller, a sea creature
formed like a truck tire which moves by rolling itself along...
which also is how its blood circulation system operates.
If it isn't turning then it's dying.
I forget who it was (I'm thinking Niven...) who also
used the Drambon in one of his stories, and in
a discussion of it mentioned specifically that the
Drambon was from another author (are you sure
it was White?) and he loved the concept so much
he called the first writer to get permission...
The Drambon was definitely White's. I have all the Sector
General stories in the fiction room where I can't get at them,
but I remember the Drambon distinctly.
Post by danny burstein
Might have been the other way around, of course.
Nope. I never read the Niven story with the Drambon, but the one
you describe is definitely White's.
Www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Robert Carnegie
2021-07-16 01:16:06 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[snip]
Post by Robert Carnegie
In James White's _Major Operation_ there's an alien
early space mission observed by the benevolent Federation.
The ship is leaking and tumbling and the Federation ship
uses tractor beams to stabilise it. The alien urgently fires
thrusters to resume tumbling.
The alien turns out to be a Drambon Roller, a sea creature
formed like a truck tire which moves by rolling itself along...
which also is how its blood circulation system operates.
If it isn't turning then it's dying.
I forget who it was (I'm thinking Niven...) who also
used the Drambon in one of his stories, and in
a discussion of it mentioned specifically that the
Drambon was from another author (are you sure
it was White?) and he loved the concept so much
he called the first writer to get permission...
Might have been the other way around, of course.
I can't remember which James White book has a
foreword discussing the Drambons and the publishing
history of Sector General. I think it isn't _Major Operation_,
which is where the Drambons appear, and it may be
_Star Healer_, in which Dr Conway operates away
from Rhabwar. (sp.?)

Anyway, comments 21 and 22 here identify Bob Shaw
and seem to think that Shaw created the Rollers of Drambo.
<https://www.tor.com/2016/05/05/lonely-hospital-at-the-edge-of-space-a-return-to-sector-general/>

<https://www.sectorgeneral.com/articleslocusinterview.html>
from 1993 mentions Bob Shaw as a colleague from fanzining.
I thought the foreword I mentioned might be on that web site,
but I don't see it.