"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
2013-06-25 16:20:00 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html

So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?

2013-06-25 16:42:55 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
Lynn
Hmm. I thought that "Hang in there until Nook sales carry the company" was
a bit optimistic. Though I'm not sure why Nook is not doing better.

They were already in a major round of store closings anyway. This means
the Richland Mall store is a sure goner, which will take down the whole mall...
2013-06-25 17:02:34 UTC
In article <***@mid.individual.net>, ***@loft.tnolan.com
says...
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
Lynn
Hmm. I thought that "Hang in there until Nook sales carry the company" was
a bit optimistic. Though I'm not sure why Nook is not doing better.
Mostly I think because it's seen as a "me-too" product--a Nook is a kind
of kindle, like Scotties is a kind of kleenex.
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
They were already in a major round of store closings anyway. This means
the Richland Mall store is a sure goner, which will take down the whole mall...
Yeah. One of the local strip malls is likely to go with our B&N. Of
course that mall alreaady "went" in a sense--when I moved here it was a
nice indoor mall with some somewhat interesting architecture--in the mid
'80s it got turned into a strip mall.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2013-06-25 17:53:42 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
the Richland Mall store is a sure goner, which will take down
the whole mall...
Yeah. One of the local strip malls is likely to go with our
B&N. Of course that mall alreaady "went" in a sense--when I
moved here it was a nice indoor mall with some somewhat
interesting architecture--in the mid '80s it got turned into a
strip mall.
Maybe they'll survive by going from strip mall to strip club.
There's always money in boobies.

Andrew Plotkin
2013-06-25 17:11:56 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
Lynn
Hmm. I thought that "Hang in there until Nook sales carry the company" was
a bit optimistic. Though I'm not sure why Nook is not doing better.
Apple owns the high end of the e-reader market, and Amazon owns the
low end. Can't go fancier than the one or cheaper than the other, and
apparently there's no room in between them.

However, brick and mortar books stores remain viable if you live where
there are lots of reading people. This seems to be what the article is
saying: B&N can do well if it discards the Nook division *and* reduces
the store count. Its (university-affiliated) locations in Cambridge MA
will certainly remain open.

--Z
*
Andrew Plotkin
2013-06-25 19:27:24 UTC
Post by Andrew Plotkin
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Hmm. I thought that "Hang in there until Nook sales carry the company" was
a bit optimistic. Though I'm not sure why Nook is not doing better.
Apple owns the high end of the e-reader market, and Amazon owns the
low end. Can't go fancier than the one or cheaper than the other, and
apparently there's no room in between them.
And apparently B&N half-agrees with me: "Barnes & Noble now says it
[...] will cease manufacturing the Nook HD and Nook HD+, effective
immediately... the company says it will continue to produce its line
of E-Ink reading devices in-house."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/25/nook_tablets_discontinued/

Good luck, I guess.

--Z
*
J. Clarke
2013-06-25 16:54:53 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?\
Possibly. Barnes & Noble and Borders killed off much of the
competition. The only brick and mortar bookstores near me that sell new
books are Barnes & Noble and a porno shop. There are several used book
stores. If Barnes & Noble goes away I doubt that it's going to be
replaced any time soon just because the economy is so bad that nobody's
going to be able to come up with the money to start a locally owned
store. Maybe one of the used book stores will start picking up new
titles though.

But sadly I'm starting to think that recreational reading is itself in
the process of going away--when you can watch movies on the same
handheld that you use to read books many people will pick the movies
instead.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2013-06-25 17:55:51 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-
chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?\
Possibly. Barnes & Noble and Borders killed off much of the
competition. The only brick and mortar bookstores near me that
sell new books are Barnes & Noble and a porno shop. There are
several used book stores. If Barnes & Noble goes away I doubt
that it's going to be replaced any time soon just because the
economy is so bad that nobody's going to be able to come up with
the money to start a locally owned store. Maybe one of the used
book stores will start picking up new titles though.
You are unaware (as you are of so many things) that the independent
booksellers association has had record new membership in the last few
years, obviously.

Lawrence Watt-Evans
2013-06-25 17:57:19 UTC
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-
chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?\
Possibly. Barnes & Noble and Borders killed off much of the
competition. The only brick and mortar bookstores near me that
sell new books are Barnes & Noble and a porno shop. There are
several used book stores. If Barnes & Noble goes away I doubt
that it's going to be replaced any time soon just because the
economy is so bad that nobody's going to be able to come up with
the money to start a locally owned store. Maybe one of the used
book stores will start picking up new titles though.
You are unaware (as you are of so many things) that the independent
booksellers association has had record new membership in the last few
years, obviously.
I figure independents are taking up the slack left by Borders' absence.
--
Now available on Amazon or B&N: One-Eyed Jack.
Greg Kraft could see ghosts. That didn't mean he could stop them...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1466291532/
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2013-06-25 18:02:40 UTC
On 2013-06-25 13:55:51 -0400, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by J. Clarke
says...
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I expect that's a big, big part of it. I think there's also been
more attention to the indies that have always been around, chugging
along, and how they do it. And maybe even some study of how B&N
does it - the new Mysterious Galaxy has a coffee bar, for instance.

2013-06-25 18:43:11 UTC
On 2013-06-25 13:55:51 -0400, Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
Post by J. Clarke
says...
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I think that the coffee bars have been bad for
B&N. They attract the people who come in, pick
up a book or magazine off the shelf, buy a coffee
and procede to read their choice there. If you
are lucky, the reshelve their book before leaving.

Lynn
Andrew Plotkin
2013-06-25 18:59:37 UTC
I think that the coffee bars have been bad for B&N.
I think they've been good for B&N (and Borders, which started the
trend as far as I know).

--Z
*
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2013-06-25 19:46:05 UTC
I think that the coffee bars have been bad for
B&N. They attract the people who come in, pick
up a book or magazine off the shelf, buy a coffee
and procede to read their choice there. If you
are lucky, the reshelve their book before leaving.
Your thoughts don't match reality. I worked at Borders for 7 years, and
the coffee bar, plus comfortable seating, encouraged people to stay,
read... and *BUY*.

Sure, plenty of non-bought stuff was lying around, but they bought a
LOT more than they would have if it was just a narrow little store with
shelves o' books but no place to sit down and think about the
purchases... be encouraged to STAY and look at more things...

Anyone in the industry knew that THAT part of the Borders/B&N design
was brilliantly successful.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Jorgen Grahn
2013-06-25 18:36:22 UTC
On Tue, 2013-06-25, J. Clarke wrote:
But sadly I'm starting to think that recreational reading is itself in
the process of going away--when you can watch movies on the same
handheld that you use to read books many people will pick the movies
instead.
I do think a big chunk of the population have other distractions now.
Not just movies, but stuff like Facebook, YouTube clips ... all
those little things you can use to keep your mind occupied when
nothing major is going on.

But I think many (not just a small elite) will still find time for
reading.

/Jorgen
--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .
Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
2013-06-25 17:00:01 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
The Huge Chain may be, although you'll note that if you ignore their
DISASTROUS Nook issues, the chain would be making profits closer to $400
million instead of $10 million.

However, independent bookstores are *EXPANDING* these days; see, for
instance,
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0317/The-novel-resurgence-of-independent-bookstores/%28page%29/4

So I'm not counting paper out yet.
--
Sea Wasp
/^\
http://seawasp.livejournal.com
Lynn McGuire
2013-06-25 17:06:04 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
The Huge Chain may be, although you'll note that if you ignore their DISASTROUS Nook issues, the chain would be making profits
closer to $400 million instead of $10 million.
However, independent bookstores are *EXPANDING* these days; see, for instance,
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0317/The-novel-resurgence-of-independent-bookstores/%28page%29/4
So I'm not counting paper out yet.
My B&N has turned itself into a toy store that
has books in it. I have no idea how successful
that has been for them.

Lynn
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2013-06-25 18:00:44 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chap
ter-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
The Huge Chain may be, although you'll note that if you
ignore their DISASTROUS Nook issues, the chain would be
making profits
closer to $400 million instead of $10 million.
However, independent bookstores are *EXPANDING* these
days; see, for instance,
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0317/The-novel-resurge
nce-of-independent-bookstores/%28page%29/4
So I'm not counting paper out yet.
My B&N has turned itself into a toy store that
has books in it. I have no idea how successful
that has been for them.
My local B&N is still over 50% books. But only just. Toys, games, I
believe they even (try to) sell music CDs. The Starbucks in it seems
to do well, too. I suspect that's the college kids.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2013-06-25 17:59:34 UTC
Post by Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/barnes-noble-final-chapt
er-151038001.html
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
The Huge Chain may be, although you'll note that if you
ignore their
DISASTROUS Nook issues, the chain would be making profits closer
to $400 million instead of $10 million.
However, independent bookstores are *EXPANDING* these days; see, for
instance,
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2013/0317/The-novel-resurgen
ce-of-independent-bookstores/%28page%29/4
So I'm not counting paper out yet.
Mysterious Galaxy's new location seems to be doing OK. It ha a coffee
bar in it.

2013-06-25 18:47:26 UTC
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
"lack of foot traffic in the stores"? The one in Knoxville must be rather above
average then - always a full parking lot, always lots of people in the store
and attached pseudo-Starbucks...

If they go, I shall be REALLY annoyed, because they're the last big dependable
chain in Knoxville. Ed McKay's is huge but it's used books; Books-a-Million,
the last time I checked, didn't bother to put their subject sections in
alphabetical order...

...ah, the Nook division specifically is to blame. Okay got it. The actual
stores are doing okay or even good; the Nook division had a $475 million loss.

Dave, comforted obscurely
2013-06-25 18:50:29 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Lynn McGuire
"Barnes & Noble: The Final Chapter?"
So, are the brick and mortar book stores dead?
"lack of foot traffic in the stores"? The one in Knoxville must be rather above
average then - always a full parking lot, always lots of people in the store
and attached pseudo-Starbucks...
If they go, I shall be REALLY annoyed, because they're the last big dependable
chain in Knoxville. Ed McKay's is huge but it's used books; Books-a-Million,
the last time I checked, didn't bother to put their subject sections in
alphabetical order...
...ah, the Nook division specifically is to blame. Okay got it. The actual
stores are doing okay or even good; the Nook division had a $475 million loss.
BAM is moving at least some of their stores to a used concept:

http://columbiaclosings.com/wordpress/?p=7732