xkcd: Solar Protons
Add Reply
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-11 19:07:47 UTC
xkcd: Solar Protons
https://www.xkcd.com/2997/

Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water. But we do need
the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.

Explained at:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons

Lynn
Cryptoengineer
2024-10-11 19:44:15 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
   https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do need
the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.

It may be visible again tonight.

pt
Scott Dorsey
2024-10-11 19:54:23 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
   https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do need
the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
Have not seen it but it is VERY clearly audible on higher HF bands on the
radio. And most HF is dead due to high D-layer absorption. This is like
1978 all over again, it is very cool.
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-11 19:57:46 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
    https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do
need the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
pt
I did not see anything here in south Texas last night at 1 am.

Lynn
Scott Lurndal
2024-10-11 21:27:07 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
    https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do
need the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
pt
I did not see anything here in south Texas last night at 1 am.
Texas is far too south.

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/aurora-dashboard-experimental
Jay E. Morris
2024-10-12 00:04:45 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
    https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do
need the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
pt
I did not see anything here in south Texas last night at 1 am.
Texas is far too south.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/aurora-dashboard-experimental
People in La Vernia TX reported seeing a slight glow. That's about 30
miles SE of San Antonio. We're a few miles south of that but
unfortunately there's a rise to the north of us that blocks out view.
Bobbie Sellers
2024-10-12 00:19:22 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
    https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do
need the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
pt
I did not see anything here in south Texas last night at 1 am.
Texas is far too south.
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/aurora-dashboard-experimental
And San Francisco had a lot of Fog. But we saw very pretty pictures
like red velver drapes floating with the breeze from areas more blessed
with Aurora Borealis visibility.

bliss
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
Cryptoengineer
2024-10-12 18:32:47 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: Solar Protons
    https://www.xkcd.com/2997/
Uh, Solar Protons are not going to directly form water.  But we do
need the rain here in Texas as we are in a drought again.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2997:_Solar_Protons
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
pt
I did not see anything here in south Texas last night at 1 am.
Texas is far too south.
Don't be so sure:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/texans-snap-photos-of-northern-lights-in-the-thursday-night-sky/ar-AA1s7mw6?ocid=BingNewsSerp
Post by Scott Lurndal
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/communities/aurora-dashboard-experimental
I use that site too, but its often wildly pessimistic.

If you're looking for an aurora, and aren't sure if its actually
there, try looking through your phone camera, preferably in 'night
mode'. Phone cameras are more sensitive than the human eye to
the faint colors.

pt

Michael Benveniste
2024-10-12 02:32:02 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
Nothing visible tonight, but here are a couple I took from yesterday:
Mike Benveniste -- ***@murkyether.com (Clarification Required)
Such commentary has become ubiquitous on the Internet and is widely
perceived to carry no indicium of reliability and little weight.
(Digital Media News v. Escape Media Group, May 2014).
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-12 03:04:50 UTC
Post by Michael Benveniste
Post by Cryptoengineer
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
https://wemightneedthat.biz/Images/Aurora1.jpg
https://wemightneedthat.biz/Images/Aurora2.jpg
That is super cool !

Thanks,
Lynn
Your Name
2024-10-12 05:29:45 UTC
Post by Michael Benveniste
Post by Cryptoengineer
I went out and photographed the aurora last night here in MA.
It may be visible again tonight.
https://wemightneedthat.biz/Images/Aurora1.jpg
https://wemightneedthat.biz/Images/Aurora2.jpg
Nothing visible because you'd already captured it all in the previous
night's photos. ;-)