Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
2018-06-10 00:38:33 UTC
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?

https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/

Is this worth reading at 1.7 million words ? Kinda sounds like a female
super hero story.

Lynn
Ahasuerus
2018-06-10 01:24:44 UTC
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
[snip]

Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ

Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-10 04:33:25 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Lynn McGuire
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
[snip]
Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
Thanks, that is where I saw the reference. I forgot to hat tip that.

Lynn
Peter Volk
2018-06-11 11:07:03 UTC
Yes, I have read it. It is pretty much played for laughs, though I
consider it to be very readable. I recommend anyone to try the first
three to five chapters. If you don't like it, drop it, though the
writing does improve.

Peter

On Sat, 9 Jun 2018 23:33:25 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Lynn
-dsr-
2018-06-11 20:12:19 UTC
Post by Peter Volk
Yes, I have read it. It is pretty much played for laughs, though I
consider it to be very readable. I recommend anyone to try the first
three to five chapters. If you don't like it, drop it, though the
writing does improve.
I am about 75% through. Apart from some clunky "said-ism", it's nearly
delightful.

I'm not sure anyone who hasn't read Worm would be quite so amused by
it, though.

-dsr-
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-11 21:54:04 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Lynn McGuire
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
[snip]
Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
So, I need to read _Worm_ first ?
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/

Thanks,
Lynn
Ahasuerus
What's a few million words of fiction between friends?..
Robert Carnegie
2018-06-11 23:09:07 UTC
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Lynn McGuire
Has anyone read Taylor Varga ?
https://excessverbosity.wordpress.com/fiction-2/fanfiction-list/tv-intro/
[snip]
Apparently the answer is "yes" -- see
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/rec.arts.sf.written/OiUHwRKPwx4/YTDR7dS5AgAJ
Warning: the sub-thread may contain spoilers for "Taylor Varga" and
the Web serial "Worm", which "TV" is based on. As we discovered during
the last discussion, "TV" assumes basic familiarity with "Worm".
So, I need to read _Worm_ first ?
https://parahumans.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/
I think a view was taken that you actually don't need
to, whatever is "assumed", although setting details
from _Worm_ will be easier to appreciate if familiar.

But it seemed to be more the opposite - if you've read
_Worm_ then you ought to read _Taylor Varga_ to get
over it. Although you do have a taste for apocalypse
survival tales. _Worm_ seems to be more non-survival...
Peter Volk
2018-06-12 13:11:11 UTC
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 16:09:07 -0700 (PDT), Robert Carnegie
Post by Ahasuerus
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
I haven't read Worm, and I enjoyed Taylor Varga. OTOH I have read a
lot of Worm fanfic, so the setting wasn't strange to me.

Peter