Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
Add Reply
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-02 19:31:38 UTC
Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2024/10/02

Books on tape count as real books. I do not know where this tempest in
a teapot is coming from.

Lynn
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2024-10-02 20:16:51 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2024/10/02
Books on tape count as real books. I do not know where this tempest in
a teapot is coming from.
Lynn
I'm ambivalent. I let my kindle read to me on long drives and it's
mostly fine, but then I see the reviews on Amazon where it seems
like the people listening to the audio book editions are getting
some kind of radio drama with the narrators doing different voices
instead of just a recitation of the text.

I don't think people getting their books that way have the same
experience as "readers".
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-03 02:46:21 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lynn McGuire
Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2024/10/02
Books on tape count as real books. I do not know where this tempest in
a teapot is coming from.
Lynn
I'm ambivalent. I let my kindle read to me on long drives and it's
mostly fine, but then I see the reviews on Amazon where it seems
like the people listening to the audio book editions are getting
some kind of radio drama with the narrators doing different voices
instead of just a recitation of the text.
I don't think people getting their books that way have the same
experience as "readers".
I drove my truck a thousand miles last week, 400 miles by myself. I
forgot to bring a book on tape, actually USB as I do not have a CD
player, just a bunch of USB ports.

Lynn
Scott Lurndal
2024-10-03 16:18:11 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lynn McGuire
Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2024/10/02
Books on tape count as real books. I do not know where this tempest in
a teapot is coming from.
Lynn
I'm ambivalent. I let my kindle read to me on long drives and it's
mostly fine, but then I see the reviews on Amazon where it seems
like the people listening to the audio book editions are getting
some kind of radio drama with the narrators doing different voices
instead of just a recitation of the text.
I don't think people getting their books that way have the same
experience as "readers".
I drove my truck a thousand miles last week, 400 miles by myself.
I drove my car a thousand miles last month (Bay Area
to San Diego and back over a long weekend). I listened to the
collected works of the band _Riverside_. Lunch in Pismo,
dinner in Laguna Nigel. And an opportunity to be up-close
and personal with an F/A-18C.
Your Name
2024-10-03 05:39:03 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lynn McGuire
Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2024/10/02
Books on tape count as real books. I do not know where this tempest in
a teapot is coming from.
Lynn
I'm ambivalent. I let my kindle read to me on long drives and it's
mostly fine, but then I see the reviews on Amazon where it seems
like the people listening to the audio book editions are getting
some kind of radio drama with the narrators doing different voices
instead of just a recitation of the text.
Some are bigger audio drama production, while others are simply book readings.

The Big Finish company, for example, makes a lot of "Doctor Who" audio
dramas with the original actors as well as new actors doing their lines
and sound effects, etc added. They also do a lot of other audio dramas.
<https://www.bigfinish.com>

The quality of the simpler book readings does of course depend on who
is reading the book. Some can be extremely boring to listen to, while
others can be really good, and a few can be very bad choices due to
their accents.

Of course, with text-to-speech (including AI), you can have pretty much
any digital book read to you these days, often by a choice of various
celebrity voices.
experience as "readers".
Paul S Person
2024-10-03 16:52:55 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Lynn McGuire
Pearls Before Swine: Books On Tape
https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2024/10/02
Books on tape count as real books. I do not know where this tempest in
a teapot is coming from.
Lynn
I'm ambivalent. I let my kindle read to me on long drives and it's
mostly fine, but then I see the reviews on Amazon where it seems
like the people listening to the audio book editions are getting
some kind of radio drama with the narrators doing different voices
instead of just a recitation of the text.
I don't think people getting their books that way have the same
experience as "readers".
My first job was at a Library for the Blind. They had some Braille
books for the kids when they visited, but the bulk of their clients
used "talking books", which were converting from 33 1/3
RPM LPs to 16 RPM discs, which were smaller and lighter. Toward the
end of my employment there (I moved on, as young people do) a
conversion to tape (cassette, I think, but reel-to-reel is possible)
was being tested.

Those I would count as "readers". Of course, those were
straightforward readings by professional readers. And, AFAIK, every
word of every book was read and so heard.

This was (and may still be) funded by the Federal Government, although
the building and staff were provided (paid for) by the Public Library.

Commercial audio books can be dramatic presentations. One reason Bilbo
in PJs LOTR went to Ian Holm was, IIRC, because he had read Bilbo in
an audio book that was very dramatic, including (IIRC how those who
had heard it correctly) music and sound effects.

But it omitted Tom Bombadil. It was not, IOW, an audio book that
contained every single word of the paper edition. It was, indeed, a
performance piece. I very good one, apparently, but not the entire
book.

So I would not count those whose only experience with the book /LOTR/
is the audio book: they have /not/ read it because what they heard was
/not/ a reading of it.

Goat's reaction is, however, a bit over-the-top. And Pig is both right
and wrong, depending on whether what was listened was, in fact, the
book (every word) and not an entertainment based on the book.

Semantic goo is everywhere.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,