xkcd: University Commas
Add Reply
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-08 21:10:18 UTC
xkcd: University Commas
https://www.xkcd.com/2995/

I like and use the Oxford Comma.

Explained at:
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas

Lynn
Michael Benveniste
2024-10-09 00:12:28 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't. It comes and
goes. I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
--
Mike Benveniste -- ***@murkyether.com (Clarification Required)
Such commentary has become ubiquitous on the Internet and is widely
(Digital Media News v. Escape Media Group, May 2014).
Lynn McGuire

Lynn
Bobbie Sellers
2024-10-09 01:50:12 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't.  It comes and
goes.  I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
How punny can you get?
I use whatever "comma" my program uses
And I hope the talk does not move to apostrophes.
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
Your Name
2024-10-09 04:24:44 UTC
Post by Michael Benveniste
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't. It comes and
goes. I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
Or maybe you just sometimes fall into a comma coma. ;-)

Or had too many drinks with Lola at the Commacabana. ;-)
Cryptoengineer
2024-10-09 11:36:43 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't.  It comes and
goes.  I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
Or maybe you just sometimes fall into a comma coma. ;-)
Or had too many drinks with Lola at the Commacabana.  ;-)
I've been seeing political lawn signs that read simply: ",-la"

pt
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2024-10-09 12:29:09 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Your Name
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't.  It comes and
goes.  I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
Or maybe you just sometimes fall into a comma coma. ;-)
Or had too many drinks with Lola at the Commacabana.  ;-)
I've been seeing political lawn signs that read simply: ",-la"
Of Opar?
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Michael Benveniste
2024-10-09 15:26:41 UTC
Post by Your Name
Or had too many drinks with Lola at the Commacabana.  ;-)
Nope. I frequent the Culture Club instead.
2024-10-09 09:05:13 UTC
Post by Michael Benveniste
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
   https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't. It comes and
goes. I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
There is a legend that says that the man who figures out the right way to
use a semicolon, will find god!
BCFD 36
2024-10-09 19:04:51 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
    https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Sometimes I use an Oxford Comma, and sometimes I don't.  It comes and
goes.  I guess you could say I'm a comma chameleon.
You should show yourself out now.
--
----------------

Dave Scruggs
Senior Software Engineer - Lockheed Martin, et. al (mostly Retired)
Captain - Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Board of Directors - Boulder Creek Fire Protection District (What was I
thinking?)
Tony Nance
<golf clap>
Paul S Person
2024-10-09 16:02:56 UTC
On Tue, 8 Oct 2024 16:10:18 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: University Commas
https://www.xkcd.com/2995/
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Haven't there been legal cases decided on whether or not an Oxford
Comma was used?

That is, that it's presence or absence indicated if the last two items
were /both/ required or only one was?
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
Mark Jackson
2024-10-09 16:24:37 UTC
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/us/dairy-drivers-oxford-comma-case-settlement-trnd/index.html
--
Mark Jackson - https://mark-jackson.online/
Aristotle thought man was the "rational animal"
- Corey Mohler
Your Name
2024-10-09 21:46:32 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
xkcd: University Commas
https://www.xkcd.com/2995/
I like and use the Oxford Comma.
https://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/2995:_University_Commas
Haven't there been legal cases decided on whether or not an Oxford
Comma was used?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/us/dairy-drivers-oxford-comma-case-settlement-trnd/index.html
There are probably many many more too. Lawyers, especially the scumbag
ones, are always looking for some miniscule flaw to get their own side
a "win". :-(
Mark Jackson
2024-10-10 00:24:27 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Paul S Person
Haven't there been legal cases decided on whether or not an Oxford
Comma was used?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/us/dairy-drivers-oxford-comma-case-settlement-trnd/index.html
There are probably many many more too. Lawyers, especially the scumbag
ones, are always looking for some miniscule flaw
. . .such as "what is the actual meaning of the law as written?". . .
Post by Your Name
to get their own side a
"win".  :-(
- Corey Mohler
Your Name
2024-10-10 06:43:05 UTC
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Your Name
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Paul S Person
Haven't there been legal cases decided on whether or not an Oxford
Comma was used?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/09/us/dairy-drivers-oxford-comma-case-settlement-trnd/index.html
There are probably many many more too. Lawyers, especially the scumbag
ones, are always looking for some miniscule flaw
. . .such as "what is the actual meaning of the law as written?". . .
As the old saying goes: "The law is an ass."

Meaning: "The law is an ass is a derisive expression said when the the
rigid application of the letter of the law is seen to be contrary to
common sense."
<https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-law-is-an-ass.html>

If a person is guilty of a serious crime, then gets let off because a
comma is in the wrong place (or the police didn't give the criminal a
hot cup of cocoa at bedtime, etc.), then the defence lawyer is a
scumbag and the legal system is a complete joke.
Post by Mark Jackson
Post by Your Name
to get their own side a "win".  :-(