Quora: What SciFi novels should be made into movies?
David Johnston
2018-09-23 18:59:11 UTC
David Johnston

Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-09-23 21:02:36 UTC
On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 12:59:11 -0600, David Johnston
Post by David Johnston
David Johnston
Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
James Cameron? Not Ridley Scott?
My latest novel is Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar.
See http://www.ethshar.com/StoneUnturned.shtml
David Johnston
Yeah, I guess I'll edit that one.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-09-24 01:35:12 UTC
Post by David Johnston
David Johnston
Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
James Cameron? Not Ridley Scott?
And why can it not happen? Just reverse the standard movie practice
of using the title and ignoring the plot by using the plot and
coming up with a new title.
--
------
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
Robert Carnegie
2018-09-24 09:07:38 UTC
Post by David Johnston
David Johnston
Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
James Cameron? Not Ridley Scott?
And why can it not happen? Just reverse the standard movie practice
of using the title and ignoring the plot by using the plot and
coming up with a new title.
I'd say just use the same title, which happens,
but you probably can't if it's trademarked.
That may have been not done when films had a
relatively short commercial life - or else it
was cheap to buy the trademark rights.

But I think I'd rather see the story remade as an
episode of whatever "Star Trek" incarnation is
currently in production; as it stands, the story
looks like a position starkly against government
being involved in the American private health market,
and since the logical goal of the American private
health market is to cut up poor people and sell
the pieces to rich people, the comment I favour
on that situation is _Bug Jack Barron_. Which also
has, probably, better sex scenes.
Peter Trei
2018-09-24 13:16:56 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by David Johnston
[...]
There's at least two movies titled 'Brainstorm'. One is
SF, starring Natalie Wood in 1983, the other is a 1965
drama/thriller with Anne Francis.

I recall back in the late 80s, one of the NYC stations
had the SF movie scheduled, but accidentally showed the
thriller instead - they'd been shipped the wrong 'Brainstorm'
and no one noticed.

pt
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 16:16:54 UTC
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 5:07:40 AM UTC-4, Robert
On Monday, 24 September 2018 02:35:15 UTC+1, Ted Nolan
In article
er.org>,
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by David Johnston
[...]
As I understand it, the title of a single movie (or book) can't be
trademarked. The collective title of a series can, and any
associated merchandise can certainly have trademarks associated
(and there's certainly plenty of that with Bladerunner). So, in
theory, one *might* be able to pull off a movie of that title, but
with no merchandising rights.

Interestingly, there's also a trademark registerd on Blade Runner -
two words - by Downhole Products Limited, for oil, gas and water
drilling equipment.

More relevant is that there are a number of trademarks for
Bladerunner - one word - for a wide variety of products, from
shipping materials for masonry products to power saws to santizing
cleaning sponges for food slicing machines to inline roller sakes
(heh) to ice skates medical devices for treating injured fingers to
toy helicopters, and many others. (Not all are current, but most
post-date the movie.)
--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Peter Trei
2018-09-24 17:15:39 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Post by David Johnston
[...]
The same word can be trademarked by different people or corporations
for different things, unless there's a likelihood of dilution.

'Vax' is both a brand of vacuum cleaners in the UK, and a line of 1980s mini-computers made by DEC.

'Apple' was used for both a computer company, and a record publisher. No
problems until the computer company started making iPods.

pt
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 19:05:01 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
'Vax' is both a brand of vacuum cleaners in the UK, and a line of 1980s
mini-computers made by DEC.
From fortune on BSD UNIX:

Lizzie Porter took an axe
And plunged it deep into the VAX.
Don't you envy people who
Do the things *you* want to do?
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Greg Goss
2018-09-25 13:46:14 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
'Apple' was used for both a computer company, and a record publisher. No
problems until the computer company started making iPods.
Apple licenced "Mackintosh" from a stereo company to shut down a
company in Canada that was making apple ][ clones under the name that
was expected for their new model. They claimed that the stereo
company's trademark covered all electronic products, and therefore the
Toronto company didn't have prior use.
Quadibloc
2018-09-26 00:49:57 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
And why can it not happen? Just reverse the standard movie practice
of using the title and ignoring the plot by using the plot and
coming up with a new title.
Once I rememebered that the movie "Bladerunner" wasn't a badly-garbled movie
adaptation of the novel or short story with the same name, but instead of Philip
K. Dick's "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep", I realized that your comment is
spot on.

John Savard
Wolffan
2018-09-23 22:04:25 UTC
Post by David Johnston
David Johnston
Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
I’d like to see _Footfall_. Done properly, the Battle of Kansas, the
Footfall, and Michael doing battle in heaven would be awesome.

Hollywooded up, they’d be dreck beyond compare.
p***@hotmail.com
2018-09-23 22:57:00 UTC
Post by David Johnston
David Johnston
Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
One possible problem is that Alan Nourse wrote _Bladerunner_ at a time
when overpopulation was in the public mind. The movie _Soylent Green_
was released just a year or so earlier, 1n 1973. If a movie of
_Bladerunner_ were to be made now they could play up the eugenics
angle. "Mental defectives" and other undesirables were being sterilized
long before overpopulation was a popular concern.

Peter Wezeman
anti-social Darwinist
David Johnston
2018-09-24 01:01:31 UTC
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Actually while overpopulation may have been part of the original context
the actual explicit justifications were eugenics, the increasing
difficulty of paying for medical care and the increasing spread of a
cult that rejected medicine as "unnatural"
Dimensional Traveler
2018-09-24 01:14:26 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by David Johnston
[...]
I can't help but feel that last bit is self correcting over time.
instinct are running screaming.
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 02:06:57 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by David Johnston
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Not nearly fast enough. Anti-vaxxers, e.g.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
David Johnston
2018-09-24 03:18:04 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Since they were also disinclined to use birth control and their growth
was actually fed once the medical community was increasingly seen as
"the people who want to sterilize us all", not necessarily.
Peter Trei
2018-09-24 13:10:56 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by David Johnston
[...]
What was population growth like in the pre-medical era? It was pretty low.
Women had lots of babies (whether they wantedto or not), often died in
childbirth, and lots of kids died before maturity.

We only get population explosions when medical care is available.

pt
Greg Goss
2018-09-24 08:58:00 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by p***@hotmail.com
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Social evolution moves far faster than Darwinian evolution.

The anti-vax movement is still growng, frex.

My frustration is that "Bladerunner" was the perfect title for that
story, and has absolutely nothing to do with the android story.
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 16:18:23 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Post by David Johnston
On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 1:59:17 PM UTC-5, David
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Given how many sects have that belief now, and have been around for
multiple generations, I think it's a bit more complicated than
that.

Dimensional Traveler
2018-09-24 17:43:35 UTC
Post by David Johnston
[...]
"People are stupid" seems pretty simple to me. :D
2018-09-24 18:18:17 UTC
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Yeah, but "stupid people die out," while simple, sadly, isn't
correct.

Humans are generally able to procreate before they leave their
parents' protecion, and evolution doesn't give a rat's ass about
personal survival, only procreation.

a***@yahoo.com
2018-09-24 11:42:47 UTC
Something pleasantly strange like "They Walked Like Men". I was disappointed that " Brother Termite " never got made. I%m sure Trump would have fired any aliens in his cabinet...
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 12:59:51 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Something pleasantly strange like "They Walked Like Men". I was
disappointed that " Brother Termite " never got made. I%m sure Trump
would have fired any aliens in his cabinet...
If he knew them when he saw tham.

I got to type up somebody's screenplay once. You never saw it
filmed because it was godawful, but I still got paid for it. It
involved clueless aliens wandering around Earth. Stupid,
*alcoholic* aliens; the writer was working out his own problems.
But I remember a scene when they aliens (more or less disguised)
are driving around the southern border of the US and are stopped
by the ICE, who ask them, "Who are you?" "We are aliens." "I
need to see your green card." "Oh, here it is," producing a
baseball card. "That isn't a green card!" "Oh, sorry." <zap,
the card turns green.> ICE agent, bemused, "Oh, okay, on your
way." And as the aliens drive away, "Funny, they didn't *look*
Mexican."

It was all like that. That's why you never saw it filmed.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 16:21:14 UTC
In article
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Something pleasantly strange like "They Walked Like Men". I was
disappointed that " Brother Termite " never got made. I%m sure
Trump would have fired any aliens in his cabinet...
If he knew them when he saw tham.
I got to type up somebody's screenplay once. You never saw it
filmed because it was godawful,
Heh. Like that ever stopped Hollywood.
but I still got paid for it. It
involved clueless aliens wandering around Earth. Stupid,
*alcoholic* aliens; the writer was working out his own problems.
But I remember a scene when they aliens (more or less disguised)
are driving around the southern border of the US and are stopped
by the ICE, who ask them, "Who are you?" "We are aliens." "I
need to see your green card." "Oh, here it is," producing a
baseball card. "That isn't a green card!" "Oh, sorry." <zap,
the card turns green.> ICE agent, bemused, "Oh, okay, on your
way." And as the aliens drive away, "Funny, they didn't *look*
Mexican."
It was all like that. That's why you never saw it filmed.
That sounds considerably less stupid, and more entertaining than,
say, anything Adam Sandler has ever done.

Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 19:07:14 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-09-24 19:39:15 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
He's no Pauly Shore!
--
------
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 20:26:05 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
Never saw anything of his either.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 21:03:28 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
Sandler's usual character is so stupid it's offensive. Shore's
usual character is so offensive it's stupid.

There's probably a PhD thesis in there somewhere, about the
difference.

Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 22:15:53 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
Well, you can go ahead and write it if you want. I don't want to
do the research.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 22:51:42 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
We're back to titanium sporks and testicles again.

Peter Trei
2018-09-24 19:51:30 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
This is one case where your aversion to popular culture has stood you well.

pt
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 19:59:08 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
[...]
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork than
watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about most Will
Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)? Well, I'd
rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf, over and over,
than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler movie. And, so far as I
know, there are _no_ exceptions for Sandler.

If you are seeking a reason to despair for the future of humanity,
consider this: Adam Sandler movies make enough money that they
keep letting him make them. And no one has been locked up for
crimes against humanity.

Moriarty
2018-09-24 21:24:09 UTC
<snip>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
That sounds considerably less stupid, and more entertaining
than, say, anything Adam Sandler has ever done.
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork than
watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about most Will
Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)? Well, I'd
rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf, over and over,
than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler movie. And, so far as I
know, there are _no_ exceptions for Sandler.
We've done this before. "50 First Dates" is the exception, probably because Sandler didn't write it.

-Moriarty
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 21:59:20 UTC
On Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 5:59:12 AM UTC+10, Jibini Kula
<snip>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
That sounds considerably less stupid, and more entertaining
than, say, anything Adam Sandler has ever done.
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork than
watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about most
Will Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)? Well,
I'd rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf, over and
over, than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler movie. And, so
far as I know, there are _no_ exceptions for Sandler.
We've done this before. "50 First Dates" is the exception,
probably because Sandler didn't write it.
I disagree. After reading the Wikipedia plot summary, it is,
perhaps, less stupid than most of Sandler's work, but it is rather
more Hollywood formulaic.

Start with a stupid depiction of amnesia.

Add in some family members who are hanlding their loved one's
amnesia in such a horribly abusive way that medical professionals
would likely feel compelled to legally intervene.

Then add in criminal stalking, because that't the funniest goddamn
thing Hollywood ever thought of (which, sadly, isn't far from the
truth).

And, of course, it all ends happily ever after.

My opinion remains completely unchallenged.

Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-09-25 03:49:43 UTC
<snip>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
That sounds considerably less stupid, and more entertaining
than, say, anything Adam Sandler has ever done.
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork than
watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about most Will
Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)? Well, I'd
rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf, over and over,
than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler movie. And, so far as I
know, there are _no_ exceptions for Sandler.
We've done this before. "50 First Dates" is the exception, probably because Sandler didn't write it.
I actually like "The Wedding Singer," too.

Other than those two and "Punch-Drunk Love," I've never managed to sit
through more than ten minutes of a Sandler movie. In every other case
I seriously regret making the attempt. For most I didn't last _three_
minutes.

I made it through "Punch-Drunk Love" for complicated social reasons,
and wasn't actively offended, but I didn't enjoy the experience.
Still, "not actively offended" is far better than usual for Sandler.
Dimensional Traveler
2018-09-25 05:29:50 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 14:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Moriarty
<snip>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
When 'Pixels' was first announced I was really looking forward to it.
The first promos looked good and like it would be a fun movie. Then the
second set of promos came out with Adam Sandler's name shown and I was
bitterly disappointed and instantly decided to never see it.
instinct are running screaming.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2018-09-25 05:36:51 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
I actually like "The Wedding Singer," too.
Other than those two and "Punch-Drunk Love," I've never managed to sit
through more than ten minutes of a Sandler movie. In every other case
I seriously regret making the attempt. For most I didn't last _three_
minutes.
I made it through "Punch-Drunk Love" for complicated social reasons,
and wasn't actively offended, but I didn't enjoy the experience.
Still, "not actively offended" is far better than usual for Sandler.
When 'Pixels' was first announced I was really looking forward to it.
The first promos looked good and like it would be a fun movie. Then the
second set of promos came out with Adam Sandler's name shown and I was
bitterly disappointed and instantly decided to never see it.
It could have been worse. There were some funny bits with the other
characters, including a great joke with Martha Stewart of all people.
I liked the everyman/best-friend/President characer.

Of course, Futurama did it much better in seven minutes than Pixels
did it in two hours: "Drop down, increase speed, and reverse direction!"
--
------
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-09-25 06:36:27 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
I saw part of it (since I've never watched much Sandler, I guess I
didn't recognize his voice, or I wouldn't have). You got the better
end of the deal. Though it was too bland and formulaic to even be
offensive, which is a huge step up for Sandler.

Ninapenda Jibini
2018-09-25 06:34:39 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
That sounds considerably less stupid, and more entertaining
than, say, anything Adam Sandler has ever done.
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork
than watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about
most Will Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)?
Well, I'd rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf,
over and over, than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler
movie. And, so far as I know, there are _no_ exceptions for
Sandler.
We've done this before. "50 First Dates" is the exception,
probably because Sandler didn't write it.
I actually like "The Wedding Singer," too.
You two are what's wrong with movies.
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
Other than those two and "Punch-Drunk Love," I've never managed
to sit through more than ten minutes of a Sandler movie. In
every other case I seriously regret making the attempt. For
most I didn't last _three_ minutes.
Like I said, I'd rather watch Elf than watch the _trailer) for an
Adam Sandler movie.

Jack Bohn
2018-09-25 01:05:45 UTC
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork than
watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about most Will
Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)? Well, I'd
rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf, over and over,
than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler movie. And, so far as I
know, there are _no_ exceptions for Sandler.
Sandler was in somebody else's movie... judging from the movie I was going to the theater for, I would guess "Punch Drunk Love." If so, the theater had a hand-written sign to the effect that, "Adam Sandler stars in 'Punch Drunk Love,' but it is -_not_- an *Adam Sandler* movie! NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN!" When you have to consider someone had compelling reasons to put up that sign... scary.
-Jack
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-09-25 03:50:39 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 18:05:45 -0700 (PDT), Jack Bohn
Post by Jack Bohn
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork than
watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about most Will
Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)? Well, I'd
rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf, over and over,
than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler movie. And, so far as I
know, there are _no_ exceptions for Sandler.
Sandler was in somebody else's movie... judging from the movie I was going to the theater for, I would guess "Punch Drunk Love." If so, the theater had a hand-written sign to the effect that, "Adam Sandler stars in 'Punch Drunk Love,' but it is -_not_- an *Adam Sandler* movie! NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN!" When you have to consider someone had compelling reasons to put up that sign... scary.
I think they knew exactly what they were doing.
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-09-25 06:37:20 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
I'd rather stab myself in the groin with my titanium spork
than  watch an Adam Sandler movie. Remember how I feel about
most Will  Ferrel movies (with a couple of notable exceptions)?
Well, I'd  rather sit through a weekend long marathon of Elf,
over and over,  than watch the trailer for an Adam Sandler
movie. And, so far as I  know, there are _no_ exceptions for
Sandler.
Sandler was in somebody else's movie... judging from the movie I
was going to the theater for, I would guess "Punch Drunk Love."
If so, the theater had a hand-written sign to the effect that,
"Adam Sandler stars in 'Punch Drunk Love,' but it is -_not_- an
*Adam Sandler* movie! NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN!" When you have
to consider someone had compelling reasons to put up that
sign... scary.
Anybody who is disappointed that a movie with Adam Sandler in it is
not an Adam Sandler movie should not be allowed to breed.

Mike Van Pelt
2018-09-24 23:57:12 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I envy you that blissful state of affairs. I wish I could
forget the one I saw. (Though it did feature Sandler getting
beaten to a pulp by Bob Barker, so there was one slightly
redeeming feature of it. Not enough to make up for the rest
of it by a long shot, though.)
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Kevrob
2018-09-25 03:27:48 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I envy you that blissful state of affairs. I wish I could
forget the one I saw. (Though it did feature Sandler getting
beaten to a pulp by Bob Barker, so there was one slightly
redeeming feature of it. Not enough to make up for the rest
of it by a long shot, though.
One wonders what Dorothy would think of Sandler's "Opera Man"
bits on Saturday Night Live. He could be funny there, in small
doses - the Hanukkah song was funny the first time.

Kevin R
Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-25 03:54:15 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I envy you that blissful state of affairs. I wish I could
forget the one I saw. (Though it did feature Sandler getting
beaten to a pulp by Bob Barker, so there was one slightly
redeeming feature of it. Not enough to make up for the rest
of it by a long shot, though.
One wonders what Dorothy would think of Sandler's "Opera Man"
bits on Saturday Night Live. He could be funny there, in small
doses - the Hanukkah song was funny the first time.
I've never seen Saturday Night Live, either. I have a computer
but no television set. Daughter and son-in-law, upstairs, have
television, but I see them watching their computers oftener than
the TV.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-09-25 06:42:49 UTC
In article
Post by Kevrob
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I envy you that blissful state of affairs. I wish I could
forget the one I saw. (Though it did feature Sandler getting
beaten to a pulp by Bob Barker, so there was one slightly
redeeming feature of it. Not enough to make up for the rest
of it by a long shot, though.
One wonders what Dorothy would think of Sandler's "Opera Man"
bits on Saturday Night Live. He could be funny there, in small
doses - the Hanukkah song was funny the first time.
I've never seen Saturday Night Live, either. I have a computer
but no television set. Daughter and son-in-law, upstairs, have
television, but I see them watching their computers oftener than
the TV.
S'Okay. SNL hasn't been funny 1979 (when Aykroyd and Belushi left).

Scott Lurndal
2018-09-25 13:08:13 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Since I've never seen anything Adam Sandler has ever done
(checked IMDB), I cannot comment.
I envy you that blissful state of affairs. I wish I could
forget the one I saw. (Though it did feature Sandler getting
beaten to a pulp by Bob Barker, so there was one slightly
redeeming feature of it. Not enough to make up for the rest
of it by a long shot, though.
One wonders what Dorothy would think of Sandler's "Opera Man"
bits on Saturday Night Live. He could be funny there, in small
doses.
Now there's an opinion I don't share. He was never funny, just
obnoxious.
a***@yahoo.com
I wouldn't call Reign Over Me stupid, though I wouldn't call it entertaining, either. (It's about a guy who lost his family in 9/11).
Mike Van Pelt
2018-09-24 23:52:40 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
But I remember a scene when they aliens (more or less disguised)
are driving around the southern border of the US and are stopped
by the ICE, who ask them, "Who are you?" "We are aliens." "I
need to see your green card." "Oh, here it is," producing a
baseball card. "That isn't a green card!" "Oh, sorry." <zap,
the card turns green.> ICE agent, bemused, "Oh, okay, on your
way." And as the aliens drive away, "Funny, they didn't *look*
Mexican."
So close to an incident in reality....

At a previous employer, one of my co-workers was South African,
with a significant Boer accent.

Coming back from a trip to Mexico, he was asked if he was a
U.S. citizen, he said "No." They asked him for his green
card.

He produced his American Express card.

The INS (which it was at the time) agent glanced at it, said
"Pretty good likeness", handed it back to him, and waved him
on his way.
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-24 21:25:13 UTC
Post by David Johnston
David Johnston
Answered 3m ago
I really regret the fact that The Bladerunner will never be made into a
movie. In a future where people are officially denied medical care
unless they agree to be sterilized, our heroic smuggler of medical
supplies must save the city from a deadly plague while evading the
authorities and anti-medicine vigilantes. It’s a concept that has
Hollywood written all over it. And bloody James Cameron made sure it
would never happen.
I would like to see these made into movies. Yes, I have more, many more.

_Mutineer's Moon_ by David Weber

_Citizen of the Galaxy_ by Robert Heinlein

_Footfall_ by Pournelle and Niven

_The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_ by Robert Heinlein

_Going Home_ by A. American

_Darkship Thieves_ by Sarah Hoyt

_Red Thunder_ by John Varley

_The Stars My Destination_ by Alfred Bester

Lynn
Kevrob
2018-09-24 22:20:38 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by David Johnston
[...]
I'd rather see certain novels get a long-form TV series
version than a motion picture that /g/u/t/s/ cuts so much
that it is worse than a Classics Illustrated version.

Some shorter form fiction would be wonderful as films,
but you can't always tell. Asimov's "Nightfall" has
been filmed twice, and neither version was successful.
The idea of a hooror of darkness works better on the
page, rather than in a movie theater where people have
paid good money to sit in the dark and watch an illuminated
screen. The same for people sitting in darkened rooms of
their house, watching on monitors of any size.

Kevin R
Lynn McGuire
2018-09-24 22:37:12 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Yes, "The Expanse" tv series on the skiffy channel has been refreshingly
faithful to the book series. So much that, it seems a little boring at
times. So, I agree, a tv series would be preferable over a movie for any
of these books.

Lynn
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2018-09-24 22:54:06 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Kevrob
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by David Johnston
[...]
Because the authors are on the writing staff for the show.
Post by Lynn McGuire
So much that, it
seems a little boring at times. So, I agree, a tv series would
be preferable over a movie for any of these books.
That is true of any novel length work, I think. Short stories are
about the right amount of story for a two hour movie. Anything
longer, and you have to start cutting.

Lawrence Watt-Evans
2018-09-25 03:53:21 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:54:06 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Kevrob
Post by Lynn McGuire
So much that, it
seems a little boring at times. So, I agree, a tv series would
be preferable over a movie for any of these books.
That is true of any novel length work, I think. Short stories are
about the right amount of story for a two hour movie. Anything
longer, and you have to start cutting.
I'd have said a novelet is about right, something in the 10,000-word
range (adjusting for author).
Ninapenda Jibini
2018-09-25 06:44:49 UTC
Post by Lawrence Watt-Evans
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 15:54:06 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Post by Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
So much that, it
seems a little boring at times. So, I agree, a tv series would
be preferable over a movie for any of these books.
That is true of any novel length work, I think. Short stories
are about the right amount of story for a two hour movie.
Anything longer, and you have to start cutting.
I'd have said a novelet is about right, something in the
10,000-word range (adjusting for author).
Things longer than a short story can often be worked with, but it's
still very likely that some trimming will be needed, unless the
author is very verbose.

Dorothy J Heydt
2018-09-24 22:20:17 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
_The Stars My Destination_ by Alfred Bester
Now, that I would like to see too. The special effects crew
would have to sit up nights figuring out how to represent the
synesthsia.

I do know how you'd sell it to the producers.

"It's _The Count of Monte Cristo_ in spaaaaaaaace!"
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Joy Beeson
2018-09-27 21:07:27 UTC
On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 16:25:13 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
_Citizen of the Galaxy_ by Robert Heinlein
Only if they filet it. "Eye of the Needle" would have been a much
better movie if it had begun with Faber arriving on Storm Island.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---