OT: "Woodstock Occurred in the Middle of a Pandemic"
2020-05-04 05:38:52 UTC
OT: "Woodstock Occurred in the Middle of a Pandemic"

https://www.aier.org/article/woodstock-occurred-in-the-middle-of-a-pandemic/

"In my lifetime, there was another deadly flu epidemic in the United
States. The flu spread from Hong Kong to the United States, arriving
December 1968 and peaking a year later. It ultimately killed 100,000
people in the U.S., mostly over the age of 65, and one million worldwide."

"Lifespan in the US in those days was 70 whereas it is 78 today.
Population was 200 million as compared with 328 million today. It was
also a healthier population with low obesity. If it would be possible to
extrapolate the death data based on population and demographics, we
might be looking at a quarter million deaths today from this virus. So
in terms of lethality, it was as deadly and scary as COVID-19 if not
more so, though we shall have to wait to see."

"“In 1968,” says Nathaniel L. Moir in National Interest, “the H3N2
pandemic killed more individuals in the U.S. than the combined total
number of American fatalities during both the Vietnam and Korean Wars.”

"And this happened in the lifetimes of every American over 52 years of age."

"I was 5 years old and have no memory of this at all. My mother vaguely
remembers being careful and washing surfaces, and encouraging her mom
and dad to be careful. Otherwise, it’s mostly forgotten today. Why is that?"

"Nothing closed. Schools stayed open. All businesses did too. You could
go to the movies. You could go to bars and restaurants. John Fund has a
friend who reports having attended a Grateful Dead concert. In fact,
people have no memory or awareness that the famous Woodstock concert of
August 1969 – planned in January during the worse period of death –
actually occurred during a deadly American flu pandemic that only peaked
globally six months later. There was no thought given to the virus
which, like ours today, was dangerous mainly for a non-concert-going
demographic."

Interesting. The only thing that I remember from 1968 is when the radio
in Mom's VW Bus broke into a song and announced that Bobby Kennedy had
been shot in California and sadly died later.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Kennedy

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-04 07:30:59 UTC
[...]
How do I say this diplomatically...

I know!

YOU'RE A FUCKING DANGEROUS IDIOT.

Let's take everything you say at face value.

"The flu spread from Hong Kong to the United States, arriving December
1968 and peaking a year later.

It ultimately killed 100,000 people in the U.S."

So over the course of something MORE THAN A YEAR (assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.

COVID-19 has killed...

(checking for exact figures)

...68,602 since it arrive in the US...

...LESS THAN 4 MONTHS AGO!

And that is with all the efforts that have been put into slowing its spread.

What do you imagine the death toll would be TODAY if we hadn't enacted
the measures that have been put in place, you fucking ignorant twit?
Chrysi Cat
2020-05-04 12:33:44 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
He's already made that clear.

He thinks it'd be 68,602 "because obviously if you're meant to catch it,
you're meant to catch it, and all this cowardly hiding is doing nothing
other than destroying the economy for no reason."

It's ridiculously easy to disprove, just by showing how every social
gathering since February leads to close to half the participants
infected, but it /is/ his belief.
--
Chrysi Cat
Transgoddess, quick to anger.
2020-05-04 14:11:35 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
So over the course of something MORE THAN A YEAR (assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.
To be a little more diplomatic...

It's the "American Institute for Economic Research" that clearly has proven that
one should not trust a word it says... not Lynn McGuire, even if his choice of
web sites to accept information from is questionable.

The charge of deliberate dishonesty ought to be placed where it belongs.

2020-05-04 15:14:32 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
So over the course of something MORE THAN A YEAR (assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.
To be a little more diplomatic...
It's the "American Institute for Economic Research" that clearly has proven that
one should not trust a word it says... not Lynn McGuire, even if his choice of
web sites to accept information from is questionable.
The charge of deliberate dishonesty ought to be placed where it belongs.
John Savard
In many places, the overall death rate (all causes) is spiking; In NYC it's now about 5 times normal. This suggests there are a lot of deaths from the virus that aren't being recorded as such.

I don't know how nasty the paywall will be for you, but this is an eye opener

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html

Pt
Wolffan
2020-05-04 20:48:16 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
this ain’t over yet. there’s gonna be lots and lots and lots of fun, fun,
FUN, especially in areas which ‘reopen’ quickly.

Time to buy stock in companies which make ventilators and other hospital
equipment. Time to sell stock in airlines, bus lines, trainlines, and
cruiseship companies, if you can find someone who’ll take such stock off
your hands.
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-04 22:36:07 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
There are now over 100,000 ventilators sitting in warehouses around the
USA. New York State just shipped their excess ventilators to other
states. In other words, I would not invest in ventilator companies.

Warren Buffet just sold his airline stocks. Gook luck in following that
event.

And as far as people walking about, “More than 370 workers at a pork
plant in Missouri tested positive for coronavirus. All were asymptomatic”

https://us.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/triumph-foods-outbreak-missouri/index.html

“373 employees and contract workers at Triumph Foods in Buchanan County,
Missouri, have tested positive for coronavirus. All of them were
asymptomatic, according to a press release from the Missouri Department
of Health and Senior Services.”

If this is true, there is a bunch of Covid Mary’s and Covid Jim’s
walking around out there infecting the rest of us. If people do not
have symptoms, the only way to know is to test them. And this is not
the antibody test, this is the full blown test. We have only managed to
test 7 million in the USA so far, only 321 million to go. That won't be
happening for a year or two or five.

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-04 22:42:01 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Quadibloc
Post by Alan Baker
[...]
And...

And hear me out.

...we could tell people to distance themselves...

...and stay home from jobs that aren't absolutely essential...

...BECAUSE THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE WHO ARE ASYMPTOMATIC AND SPREADING
THIS DISEASE.
Titus G
Coronavirus articles from the NYT are free so far. .
Wolffan
2020-05-04 20:42:00 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
closer to 18 months
Post by Alan Baker
(assuming you're right
which I wouldn't even if you were telling me the colour of the Ford
pickup you're so proud of), this flue killed 100,000 people.
a bit less, in the US, about a million worldwide
he’s an ignoramus and is proud of it.
Wolffan
2020-05-04 20:38:43 UTC
[...]
Lynn, m’man...

1 Hong Kong Flu was a relatively mild pandemic _in the United States_,
killing only a bit less than 100,000 (!) in the US, under 1/10th of the
worldwide total, and it took 18 months to do it. The current pandemic has
killed just short of 70,000 in the US in less than six months. Let me put
this another way: in less than one third of the time the current pandemic has
killed more than two-thirds of the total of the 1968 outbreak. At current
rates we’re looking at having death tolls in the US of more than double
those of 1968.

2 this is the _first wave_ of covid-19. One reason why Hong Kong Flu
spluttered out _in the US_ was that the second wave wasn’t serious _in the
US_; the second wave of the 1918 pandemic was very serious _in the US_. Are
you going to guarantee that the current pandemic will look more like 1968
than 1918? Really? Because you want to _go to the movies_?!

3 I remember the song ‘Hong Kong Flu’ getting lots of airplay.
https://www.jah-lyrics.com/song/ethiopians-hong-kong-flu

Quote:

It's a killer, whoa oh, aha
It's a killer, whoa oh, aha
It's terrible and dreadful, man
It's terrible and dreadful, man
You have to rub up, rub up with a langawata
Rub up, rub up with a langawata

It’s possible that agood ol’ boy from Texas isn’t a fan of reggae
music...

4 if you want to wander the globe, or even just Texas, I say onto you: go
right ahead, boyo. Just don’t come near _me_. And if you catch something in
your travels, don’t expect sympathy, for you won’t get any.
Titus G
2020-05-04 21:18:36 UTC
snip
4 if you [Lynn McGuire] want to wander the globe, or even just
Texas, I say onto you: go right ahead, boyo. Just don’t come near
_me_. And if you catch something in your travels, don’t expect
sympathy, for you won’t get any.
Given the McGuire family state of health as reported here, they will all
be straight to the morgue, (or the local mass grave), at the first whiff
of a Covid-19 sneeze.
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-04 22:27:08 UTC
Post by Wolffan
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
You do know that the population of the USA in 1968 was 200 million. In
fact, I quoted that from the article. The population today of the USA
is 328 million. The equivalent death rate from the Hong Kong Flu today
in the USA would be 164,000.

I have noted an interesting fact on the Worldmeters Chinese Flu tally sheet:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

If you change the order from from “Total Cases” where the USA is number
one to “Deaths / 1M population” descending (click on the little arrows
next to the column header, the USA becomes number 14 in the list at 209
deaths / 1 million population. Discounting the smaller countries like
San Marino (number one), the countries Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK,
France, Sweden, and Ireland all have more deaths / 1 million population
than the USA. Belgium is 684 deaths / 1 million population to Ireland
at 267 deaths / 1 million population. Sweden never locked down and is
at 274 deaths / 1 million population with an older population than the USA.

What do these countries all have in common ? The only thing that I can
guess is western European and older populations. The fact that Sweden
never locked down is very interesting. If the USA had not locked down,
would the USA be at the same stats that it is now ?

Lynn
Alan Baker
2020-05-04 22:40:25 UTC
On 04 May 2020, Lynn McGuire wrote (in article
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
terrible and dreadful, man It's terrible and dreadful, man You have
to rub up, rub up with a langawata Rub up, rub up with a langawata
It’s possible that agood ol’ boy from Texas isn’t a fan of reggae
music...
4 if you want to wander the globe, or even just Texas, I say onto
you: go right ahead, boyo. Just don’t come near _me_. And if you
catch something in your travels, don’t expect sympathy, for you
won’t get any.
You do know that the population of the USA in 1968 was 200 million.
In fact, I quoted that from the article. The population today of the
USA is 328 million. The equivalent death rate from the Hong Kong Flu
today in the USA would be 164,000.
Over EIGHTEEN MONTHS...

...which means you're STILL a fucking ignoramus.
Post by Lynn McGuire
I have noted an interesting fact on the Worldmeters Chinese Flu tally
sheet: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
If you change the order from from “Total Cases” where the USA is
number one to “Deaths / 1M population” descending (click on the
little arrows next to the column header, the USA becomes number 14 in
the list at 209 deaths / 1 million population. Discounting the
smaller countries like San Marino (number one), the countries
Belgium, Spain, Italy, UK, France, Sweden, and Ireland all have more
deaths / 1 million population than the USA. Belgium is 684 deaths /
1 million population to Ireland at 267 deaths / 1 million population.
Sweden never locked down and is at 274 deaths / 1 million population
with an older population than the USA.
Wow!

Congratulations!

You're 14th...

...on a list that includes a bunch of places that probably don't HAVE a
population of a single million.

Sweden has an actual constitutional limitation on what they were allowed
to do, you fucking moron.
Post by Lynn McGuire
What do these countries all have in common ? The only thing that I
can guess is western European and older populations. The fact that
Sweden never locked down is very interesting. If the USA had not
locked down, would the USA be at the same stats that it is now ?
The US would be much, much worse than it is right now, you fucking moron.

You being a moron was cute when it was about global warming and your
imagined right to fuck up the planet for grandchildren you probably
don't have.

Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Carl Fink
2020-05-05 00:03:52 UTC
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.

To kill Dorothy Heydt.

She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.

I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)

So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
--
Carl Fink ***@finknetwork.com
https://reasonablyliterate.com https://nitpicking.com
-Kenne Estes
Wolffan
that’s it exactly.
Alan Baker
2020-05-05 01:05:06 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.
To kill Dorothy Heydt.
She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.
I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)
So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
Yes.

Exactly.

I'm 58 myself.

I believe I have a robust immune system, but I'm hardly a medical
expert. I'm also blood type A (and male).

But honestly, I don't care so much about myself as I do about the people
I care about who are older than myself.

My step-dad will be 77 years old on September 6.

A golfing buddy of mine is 56, and he actually has it. So we're all
holding our breath.

I know a whole bunch of folks who want to be racing cars...

...but we're not, because the demographic skews heavily to older than I am.

But dangerous idiots like Lynn just want everything to go back to
"normal"...

...where their definition of "normal" includes a whole bunch of people
dying whom they all hope don't turn out to be people that matter to them.

I'm sick of it. I'm sick of listening to their pious mouthings about
their "rights".
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-05 01:13:12 UTC
Post by Carl Fink
Post by Alan Baker
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
Let's be exact.
To kill Dorothy Heydt.
Only if it can catch me.
Post by Carl Fink
She's 77 and has diabetes. If she gets the disease she is in terrible
danger.
Quite possibly.

(Hey, and I have COPD, too. The chronic-bronchitis kind, not the
emphysema kind, which is much worse.)

However, I have not gone outside the house since March 19, when
Governor Newsom put out the original stay-at-home order. And I
hadn't been outside much (except for church on Sunday) before that,
because it was cold out.
Post by Carl Fink
I am 58 and have diabetes. If I get COVID-19, I'm "only" in grave danger,
not as bad as Dorothy. (I have blood type A and am male, both also risk
factors.)
I'm O-positive and female. Maybe it all balances out? In any
case, I'm not going outside till someone on the order of Dr.
Fauci, or my own primary-care doctor, tells me I can, never mind
what Trump or anybody else says.
Post by Carl Fink
So Lynn is happy to kill me to (fail to) keep businesses going.
Well, Hal and I are both retired. Our son-in-law is working from
home. Our daughter is still going out to work (legal services
are deemed "essential"), but OTOH what Meg and her boss the lawyer
can do is limited by the fact that all the courthouses in the
Greater Bay Area have been closed since March so she doesn't have
to drive around from Redwood City to Martinez, or thereabouts, to
file papers. And the sanitation procedures they use when a
client comes in are admirable.

As to supporting the economy, we've decided we can support local
business by getting takeout for dinner every Friday (Meg buys it
on her way home) so that NEITHER MEG NOR I HAVE TO COOK.

This Friday will be Hal's and my 49th anniversary; Meg is talking
about getting takeout from Black Bear.

I suspect our chances of getting to our 50th are better than
those of some dumb teenager crowding onto the beach of getting to
Labor Day.
Wolffan
2020-05-05 01:01:32 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
What do these countries all have in common ? The only thing that I
can guess is western European and older populations. The fact that
Sweden never locked down is very interesting. If the USA had not
locked down, would the USA be at the same stats that it is now ?
The US would be much, much worse than it is right now, you fucking moron.
You being a moron was cute when it was about global warming and your
imagined right to fuck up the planet for grandchildren you probably
don't have.
Your idiocy about this is helping to KILL PEOPLE RIGHT NOW.
the truly frightening things are:

1 he thinks that killing off fellow citizens is okay

2 he is not alone
no, if only he and those who think like him were the ones affected, I’d say
‘carry on’ and get popcorn. the thing is, he’s going to take a lot of
others with him.
Wolffan
2020-05-05 01:01:44 UTC
/
[...]
words fail me.

you should not be allowed out without a keeper.