[tor dot com] Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
James Nicoll
2020-05-08 13:32:13 UTC
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets

https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/

D B Davis
2020-05-08 16:39:17 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
nhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
The gas giant Gol of the Vega System in Perry Rhodan was noted as fairly
inhospitable in the "Places in SF/Fantasy you don't want to visit..."
thread that was recently exhumed:

[Gol] was an ammonia-methane giant of the Jupiter type. ...
This gigantic planet had three times the diameter of Jupiter,
a staggering 260,000 miles, and, in contrast to Jupiter, an
enormous density. According to the information given by Ferronian
astronomy the gravitation on the surface amounted to more than
nine hundred G's, which meant that a man there would have to
carry more than nine hundred times his weight.

_Ghosts of Gol_

Twelve miles of ammonia above Gol's frozen methane surface blot out all
radiant light from the bluish tinged Vega at the center of the system.
The surface temperature hovers at less than eighty degrees above
absolute zero.
As if all of the above wasn't enough, "cold sun" Gol also hosts
incorporeal "light bodies" that pass through hulls with ease. Whereupon
these luminous beings, who possess the intelligence of a dog or cat,
feed off of energy created by any electrical generators within the hull
of a ship or vehicle. Some EM frequencies antagonize the energy beings
and they in behave "just like a swarm of disturbed wasps."

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Peter Trei
2020-05-09 16:39:53 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
That would take about 9 solar masses of material.

This exceeds both the Chandrasekhar limit, and the
Tolman–Oppenheimer–Volkoff limit. The planet would collapse
Into a black hole.

Pt
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-09 16:58:53 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
This is Perry Rhodan so a) it doesn't matter (esp in 1963 or whenever) and
b) It's very possible there is unknown alien tech involved if anyone
cares to look into it.
--
columbiaclosings.com
What's not in Columbia anymore..
D B Davis
2020-05-09 18:44:53 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Peter Trei
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Interesting. As the most massive sfnal object in existence, Perry
Rhodan's ¿oeuvre? is "made up of words, and every word is a universe in
its own right. And every universe is filled with many, many questions,
all of which you can ask." [1]
Part of my motivation to post PR paraphernalia is to keep the story
straight in my own mind. Although Dorothy may wish for the whole kit and
caboodle to collapse into itself and go away, that's not likely to
happen any time soon in regards to my favorite chew toy.

Good cat almighty, Peter! You've forced me to take the Dorothy defense.
Those limit's that you mention mean absolutely nothing to me. But this
much is known: Bradbury's oeuvre continues to entertain me, even if his
stories are pure fantasy at odds with scientific fact.

Note.

[1] https://expertpages.com/news/expert_ambush.htm

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-09 21:28:39 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Peter Trei
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Awwww, don't worry. If the thread gets too Rhodan-heavy, I'll
just killfile it.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Peter Trei
2020-05-09 22:50:32 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Peter Trei
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
Yeah, I didn't know when that PR was written; 1963 is before black holes
were much talked about outside theoretical physics circles (Chandrasekhar
did his work back in the 30's), and I'm not sure when they first appeared in
SF. The term starts to trend up in 1969. Niven's 'The Hole Man' is from 1973.
Are there any earlier candidates? Bixby's 'The Holes around Mars' is 1954,
but its not clear that's a BH.

pt
Peter Trei
2020-05-09 22:51:48 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Peter Trei
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
One thing I forgot to add: Guess what the densest large body on the Solar
System is.

Surprisingly, it's Earth.

pt
D B Davis
2020-05-10 00:29:33 UTC
Peter Trei <***@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Peter Trei
One thing I forgot to add: Guess what the densest large body on the Solar
System is.
Surprisingly, it's Earth.
Interesting. In that case molten metal cores and Heaviside layers must
be relatively rare.

The Ace Ackerman translation has a 1971 Copyright. The Moewig original
is titled "Die Geister von Gol." There's a third edition pulp in my
fiction nook that ends with the words:

PERRY RHODAN 3. Auflage erscheint wöchentlich im Moewig-Verlag,
8 München. ... Printed in Germany. Mai 1973.

For some unknown reason Moewig chose to print one sentence in English.
It tells readers that the third edition or print occurred in May 1973.
Other than that, there's no copyright date in my Moewig pulp that's
discernible by me. Someone smarter may know better.
At any rate, isfdb dates the original to 1961-12-22. That's good
enough for me.

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Titus G
2020-05-10 04:31:54 UTC
That is surprising. I would have guessed the overweight McGuire.
Mike Van Pelt
2020-05-11 21:02:46 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
One thing I forgot to add: Guess what the densest large body on the Solar
System is.
Surprisingly, it's Earth.
(looks a the news for a few minutes...)

The jokes just write themselves.
--
Mike Van Pelt | "I don't advise it unless you're nuts."
mvp at calweb.com | -- Ray Wilkinson, after riding out Hurricane
KE6BVH | Ike on Surfside Beach in Galveston
Christian Weisgerber
2020-05-11 23:20:04 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Yeah, I didn't know when that PR was written; 1963 is before black holes
were much talked about outside theoretical physics circles (Chandrasekhar
did his work back in the 30's), and I'm not sure when they first appeared in
SF.
Let's be frank here: Of the early (and later) Perry Rhodan writers,
the only one with more than high school science, if that, was Kurt
Mahr, who was a trained physicist and in fact worked for the American
space program. Which makes it sort of ironical that he was the author
of #16.

Of the creators, Clark Darlton was science-illiterate[1] and K.H.
Scheer was an engineering fanboy, who was enamored with gadgets and
heavy machinery, but had a rather limited understanding of the
underlying principles.

[1] In one of his juveniles, he has a photon drive ship accelerate
until it passes the speed of light, at which point the crew
observe that the clock hands move backwards.
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber ***@mips.inka.de
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 00:12:23 UTC
Post by Christian Weisgerber
Let's be frank here: Of the early (and later) Perry Rhodan writers,
the only one with more than high school science, if that, was Kurt
Mahr, who was a trained physicist and in fact worked for the American
space program. Which makes it sort of ironical that he was the author
of #16.
Of the creators, Clark Darlton was science-illiterate[1] and K.H.
Scheer was an engineering fanboy, who was enamored with gadgets and
heavy machinery, but had a rather limited understanding of the
underlying principles.
Sounds as if they were born too late. Born in the early 1900s,
they would've been perfectly suited for the gosh-wow SF of the
1920s and -30s.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-12 00:29:48 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Christian Weisgerber
Let's be frank here: Of the early (and later) Perry Rhodan writers,
the only one with more than high school science, if that, was Kurt
Mahr, who was a trained physicist and in fact worked for the American
space program. Which makes it sort of ironical that he was the author
of #16.
Of the creators, Clark Darlton was science-illiterate[1] and K.H.
Scheer was an engineering fanboy, who was enamored with gadgets and
heavy machinery, but had a rather limited understanding of the
underlying principles.
Sounds as if they were born too late. Born in the early 1900s,
they would've been perfectly suited for the gosh-wow SF of the
1920s and -30s.
I think their success pretty much proves they were perfectly suited
for the gosh-wow SF of their era..
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 01:03:17 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Christian Weisgerber
Let's be frank here: Of the early (and later) Perry Rhodan writers,
the only one with more than high school science, if that, was Kurt
Mahr, who was a trained physicist and in fact worked for the American
space program. Which makes it sort of ironical that he was the author
of #16.
Of the creators, Clark Darlton was science-illiterate[1] and K.H.
Scheer was an engineering fanboy, who was enamored with gadgets and
heavy machinery, but had a rather limited understanding of the
underlying principles.
Sounds as if they were born too late. Born in the early 1900s,
they would've been perfectly suited for the gosh-wow SF of the
1920s and -30s.
I think their success pretty much proves they were perfectly suited
for the gosh-wow SF of their era..
You may well be right. I have never read a word of Rhodan, and I
gather you have.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
D B Davis
2020-05-12 02:49:47 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
[...]
PR has creatures on Venus. It's as fantastical as Bradbury. One
interesting aspect is how PR incorporates many (?all?) sfnal fads from
the 1960s and arguably anticipates _Star Trek_ story elements.

"Musklen" advertisements appear on some back covers. Here readers find
none other than the strapping teenage poser who later became the
governator of our [1] state, Dorothy.
It's the same body builder message as the DC comics guy who has sand
kicked into his face at the beach until he develops enough muscles to
entice all of the beach's bikini babes to flock to him. It's the same
sort of advertising that appears in _Astounding_. Nonetheless, Pukallus,
Hahn, and Pukallus have the goods on PR fans:

It has to be assumed that firms that sell most of their products
through ads give some thought to the sort of readership which
provides them with the greatest market. If this is so, then the
result of our statistics on advertising is not exactly a
compliment to the Perry Rhodan readership. ...

Perry Rhodan readers are considered to be interested in technical
things, but are mostly credulous and tasteless, and in need of
remedies and contacts. The column "Weapons, Karate, & Hypnosis"
implies that they would like to have power over their surroundings,
and "Magical Items & Practical Jokes"; that they have to search for
peculiarities in order to be noticed. It is left to the readers
of this essay to draw the parallels between the ideology
previously noted and this analysis. In any case it is
psychologically proven that people in need of remedies and
contacts identify with the infallible heroes of romance, and
that the bleakness of daily work in capitalism leads many people
(mainly because of strong propaganda steering) to a flight into
the adventures of so-called paraliterature rather than to
political action. [2]

As noted earlier, the future governator appeared on PR's back cover.
Maybe Pukallus, Hahn, and Pukallus have it all backwards. Perhaps
"paraliterature" [3] precedes political action.

Note.

[1] The state of my birth.

[2] https://www.depauw.edu/sfs/backissues/18/pukallus18art.htm

[3] https://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/paraliterature

On the term "paraliterature", Ursula K. Le Guin commented that
"it exists. What I'm saying is that I don't want to perpetuate
this division. So I would always put it in quotes, or do
something to show that I'm rejecting a word that I have to use".

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 04:32:26 UTC
Post by D B Davis
"Musklen" advertisements appear on some back covers. Here readers find
none other than the strapping teenage poser who later became the
governator of our [1] state, Dorothy.
Which strapping teenage poser are we talking about?
Schwarzenegger? He was certainly strapping when he was governor,
but no longer a teenager [I have never examined the age
requirements for that office, but it's got to be at least 21].
Post by D B Davis
It's the same body builder message as the DC comics guy who has sand
kicked into his face at the beach until he develops enough muscles to
entice all of the beach's bikini babes to flock to him. It's the same
sort of advertising that appears in _Astounding_. Nonetheless, Pukallus,
I think, and mind you, I'm mostly judging by myself, that most
women are less impressed by bulging muscles than most men think
they are.

Case in point: I admire the heck out of Dwayne Johnson, but not
because of his muscles, but in spite of that. He can act and
he's funny.
Post by D B Davis
It has to be assumed that firms that sell most of their products
through ads give some thought to the sort of readership which
provides them with the greatest market. If this is so, then the
result of our statistics on advertising is not exactly a
compliment to the Perry Rhodan readership. ...
You're saying that PR expects its readership to be mostly skinny
teenage males who wish they had muscles. And again, you may well
be right.

I'm now thinking of Jeremy, the teenage protagonist of _Zits_, who
has been a senior for several years now and has had a steady
girlfriend for at least that long, but is still drawn with
pipestem arms and legs.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
D B Davis
2020-05-12 05:17:09 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
"Musklen" advertisements appear on some back covers. Here readers find
none other than the strapping teenage poser who later became the
governator of our [1] state, Dorothy.
Which strapping teenage poser are we talking about?
Schwarzenegger? He was certainly strapping when he was governor,
but no longer a teenager [I have never examined the age
requirements for that office, but it's got to be at least 21].
Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger appears as a body builder in this "muskeln"
ad from a PR back cover:

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
J. Clarke
2020-05-12 05:54:56 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
"Musklen" advertisements appear on some back covers. Here readers find
none other than the strapping teenage poser who later became the
governator of our [1] state, Dorothy.
Which strapping teenage poser are we talking about?
Schwarzenegger? He was certainly strapping when he was governor,
but no longer a teenager [I have never examined the age
requirements for that office, but it's got to be at least 21].
Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger appears as a body builder in this "muskeln"
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GNmjRGmLTWo/TsfmuxoJLBI/AAAAAAAAd74/QRFmp1Nx70o/s1600/RhodanSchwarzenegger.jpg
My God he looks young in that one. He was 20 when he won Mr. Universe
so he could have been a teenager in that picture.
D B Davis
2020-05-12 13:57:00 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by J. Clarke
My God he looks young in that one. He was 20 when he won Mr. Universe
so he could have been a teenager in that picture.
He's so young that it took me a while to recognize him. Contrary to the
theories of Pukallus, Hahn, and Pukallus, sfnal magazine ads are seldom
seen by me.
The above ad inadvertently caught my eye during a photo session for
an upcoming "Perry Rhodan mountain spin" documentary, which is soon to
be released on my website.

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 14:05:58 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
"Musklen" advertisements appear on some back covers. Here readers find
none other than the strapping teenage poser who later became the
governator of our [1] state, Dorothy.
Which strapping teenage poser are we talking about?
Schwarzenegger? He was certainly strapping when he was governor,
but no longer a teenager [I have never examined the age
requirements for that office, but it's got to be at least 21].
Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger appears as a body builder in this "muskeln"
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GNmjRGmLTWo/TsfmuxoJLBI/AAAAAAAAd74/QRFmp1Nx70o/s1600/RhodanSchwarzenegger.jpg
My God he looks young in that one. He was 20 when he won Mr. Universe
so he could have been a teenager in that picture.
/google

But if my math is correct, he was fifty-six when he won the
election to replace Gray Davis.

We've had worse governors (Reagan, e.g.). The Republicans were
severely disappointed in him 'cause he turned out to be a RINO.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
William Hyde
2020-05-12 19:31:21 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
I met the older generation of my California relatives only once, in 1965.

All I can really recall is great-uncle Gene going on about what an overspending liberal Reagan was.

William Hyde
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 20:14:16 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
Heh. It all depends on where you're looking from.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
J. Clarke
The mystery is why anyone would expect anything else from a Kennedy.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 22:03:33 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
He was only a Kennedy by marriage, and I don't think he's married
to her any more.

We've had worse Presidents, too. We have one now.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Juho Julkunen
2020-05-12 22:55:58 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
Yeah, that was related to his cheating problem, I think.

The mystery is why anyone would expect anyhting else from a Kennedy.
Juho Julkunen
Peter Trei
2020-05-13 01:17:11 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
I don't think men generally pickup infidelity from their wife's family.
He had an affair, and a son, with his housekeeper.
The marriage did last 25 years, which is a pretty good run.
Pt
J. Clarke
2020-05-13 01:22:08 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
Nonetheless he was in the clan. And no, they split, but he's not
Governator any more either so his politics don't really matter.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
We've had worse Presidents, too. We have one now.
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to come up
with anybody that the public likes much better.
Scott Lurndal
2020-05-13 14:40:52 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to come up
with anybody that the public likes much better.
If by the public you mean you, c'est la vie.

But you can't extrapolate from you to the public. You have no clue
how the general public likes or dislikes Mr Biden. Neither do the
conservative media outlets you worship.
Dorothy J Heydt
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Kevrob
2020-05-14 00:09:37 UTC
Seems that whoever it was isn't following the news. Biden has never
been more points ahead of Trump than Hillary was when she lost the
election.
This far out, those polls are worthless. Closer to the election, the
only ones that will be useful are historically accurate state-by
state surveys. If you have good numbers for the states that will
be close, your call of the electoral college split might be good.
As we saw, last time out, national popular vote totals aren't really
important.

There's all sorts of speculation on blogs like fivethirtyeight.com

This NYT article by Nate Cohn might be of interest.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/upshot/polls-2020-trump-biden.html

Kevin R
J. Clarke
2020-05-14 04:25:38 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Seems that whoever it was isn't following the news. Biden has never
been more points ahead of Trump than Hillary was when she lost the
election.
This far out, those polls are worthless. Closer to the election, the
only ones that will be useful are historically accurate state-by
state surveys. If you have good numbers for the states that will
be close, your call of the electoral college split might be good.
As we saw, last time out, national popular vote totals aren't really
important.
There's all sorts of speculation on blogs like fivethirtyeight.com
This NYT article by Nate Cohn might be of interest.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/12/upshot/polls-2020-trump-biden.html
The trouble with all this is that with Trump being as godawful as he
is I would expect any reasonable candidate to pull a lot more than any
Democrat is pulling. The conclusion is that people don't see the
people the Democrats are running as being any better than Trump, just
bad in a different way.
Ninapenda Jibini
2020-05-13 18:07:52 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by J. Clarke
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to come
up with anybody that the public likes much better.
If by the public you mean you, c'est la vie.
But you can't extrapolate from you to the public. You have no
clue how the general public likes or dislikes Mr Biden. Neither
do the conservative media outlets you worship.
Neither does the liberal media outlets or the DNC leadership, any
more than they did in 2016 when they said Hillary Clinton had a
95% chance of winning.
--
Terry Austin

Lynn: https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/stats/sw-border-migration

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Paul S Person
2020-05-13 16:36:58 UTC
On Tue, 12 May 2020 21:22:08 -0400, J. Clarke
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
We've had worse Presidents, too. We have one now.
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to come up
with anybody that the public likes much better.
If the Republicans mess up badly enough, it won't matter.

Democratic victories have usually been more about Republican disasters
than anything else since Nixon resigned.

And sporadically before that. In 1948, Truman won by running against
the do-nothing Republican Congress rather than against Dewey. No
matter what that Chicago newspaper thought.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Ninapenda Jibini
2020-05-13 18:09:05 UTC
Post by Paul S Person
On Tue, 12 May 2020 21:22:08 -0400, J. Clarke
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
On Tue, 12 May 2020 05:17:09 -0000 (UTC), D B Davis
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
We've had worse Presidents, too. We have one now.
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to come
up with anybody that the public likes much better.
If the Republicans mess up badly enough, it won't matter.
Democratic victories have usually been more about Republican
disasters than anything else since Nixon resigned.
In much the same way that Republican victories have usually been
about Democratic disasters - like Obama - than anything else since
the founding of the party.
--
Terry Austin

Lynn:

Paul S Person
2020-05-14 16:34:31 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
We've had worse Presidents, too. We have one now.
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to come
up with anybody that the public likes much better.
If the Republicans mess up badly enough, it won't matter.
Democratic victories have usually been more about Republican
disasters than anything else since Nixon resigned.
In much the same way that Republican victories have usually been
about Democratic disasters - like Obama - than anything else since
the founding of the party.
Nice attempt at projection, but the simple fact is that most
Republicans /actually try to get elected/ while the Dems, all to
often, do nothing of the kind.

The Trump campaign actually figured out how the election worked; the
Hillary campaign never did. They thought getting a plurality was
enough!
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
2020-05-14 18:26:44 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
We've had worse Presidents, too. We have one now.
And the sad thing is that the Democrats aren't managing to
come up with anybody that the public likes much better.
If the Republicans mess up badly enough, it won't matter.
Democratic victories have usually been more about Republican
disasters than anything else since Nixon resigned.
In much the same way that Republican victories have usually been
about Democratic disasters - like Obama - than anything else
since the founding of the party.
Nice attempt at projection, but the simple fact is that most
Republicans /actually try to get elected/ while the Dems, all to
often, do nothing of the kind.
That's some awfully tasty Kool-Aid you're slupring down there, son.
Don't mind the almond flavor.
--
Terry Austin

Lynn:
(May 2019 total for people arrested for entering the United States
illegally is over 132,000 for just the southwest border.)

Vacation photos from Iceland:
Johnny1A
Only some of them. You can't be disappointed if you expected nothing else, and a lot of the less star-struck GOPers at rank and file level knew what he was from the get go.
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-12 10:37:23 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
"Musklen" advertisements appear on some back covers. Here readers find
none other than the strapping teenage poser who later became the
governator of our [1] state, Dorothy.
Which strapping teenage poser are we talking about?
Schwarzenegger? He was certainly strapping when he was governor,
but no longer a teenager [I have never examined the age
requirements for that office, but it's got to be at least 21].
Yes, Arnold Schwarzenegger appears as a body builder in this "muskeln"
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-GNmjRGmLTWo/TsfmuxoJLBI/AAAAAAAAd74/QRFmp1Nx70o/s1600/RhodanSchwarzenegger.jpg
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
D B Davis
2020-05-12 13:57:18 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 17:22:46 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.
And/or too intelligent.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
D B Davis
2020-05-12 18:15:48 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
[...]
Why are you so hateful?

Thank you,
--
Don.......My cat's )\._.,--....,'``.
telltale tall tail /, _.. \ _\ (`._ ,.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 19:09:22 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.
And/or too intelligent.
Why are you so hateful?
Kindly explain. I don't hate Schwarzenegger; he was better than
some other governors we've had.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Scott Lurndal
I suspect he felt you were denegrating his (D.B. Davis) choice of reading matter.
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 20:15:51 UTC
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.
And/or too intelligent.
Why are you so hateful?
Kindly explain. I don't hate Schwarzenegger; he was better than
some other governors we've had.
I suspect he felt you were denegrating his (D.B. Davis) choice of reading matter.
As I think I've said upthread, I've never read a word of Perry
Rhodan. But I've read some of the comments from others here
about it, and it sounds (as they said) that it was designed for
skinny teenage boys who wanted lots of gosh-wow and didn't care a
fig for science.

None of which describes me.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-12 22:30:53 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
I've never been skinny in my life.

Lynn
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-13 07:19:43 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Scott Lurndal
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
What's wrong with that? And anyway, I'd dispute it.
If thrilling tales of adventures on the Moon and then
in many distant star systems, marvellous mutant abilities,
not to mention the fifth dimension (which I /think/ was
involved) doesn't reflect an /appetite/ for science,
then what does? The audience may have had limited
ability to tell when science was actually provided,
but that's another matter.
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
None of which describes me.
I expect most of us were greatly surprised to see the
word "hateful" addressed to you. I was quite surprised
already that you seemed to be criticising harshly that
colossal science-fiction-ish serial which - apart from
short passages quoted here - you haven't read, as unworthy
of Dr Schwarzenegger's attention.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2062584.stm>
Jaimie Vandenbergh
2020-05-12 19:40:10 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.
And/or too intelligent.
Why are you so hateful?
Kindly explain. I don't hate Schwarzenegger; he was better than
some other governors we've had.
Nonono - about Perry Rhodan :)

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I love children, especially when they cry, for then someone takes them away.
-- Nancy Mitford
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-12 18:42:54 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.
And/or too intelligent.
Hey, I read Perry Rhodan ! And I have it scheduled for a reread some
day not soon.

Lynn
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-12 19:12:21 UTC
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Roles in sci fi notwithstanding, I am not persuaded that
he was a reader of Perry Rhodan. But then again, why not.
Schwarzenegger's supposedly passionate about working out. Back in the
day a relatively anonymous poster at a social site claimed that if you
made the mistake of mentioning anything remotely athletic in Governor
Schwarzenegger's presence, then he took it as an invitation to talk
about physical fitness for hours on end. Schwarzenegger may have been
too busy with other things to take the time to read PR.
And/or too intelligent.
Hey, I read Perry Rhodan ! And I have it scheduled for a reread some
day not soon.
Up to you. I'm rereading Wrede's Frontier Trilogy, and after
that I ought to get back to my rough draft. This is in between
spell of trying to teach sixth-grade curriculum to a kid who
wants to do nothing but play first-person shooters.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Paul S Person
2020-05-13 16:41:01 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by D B Davis
Post by Robert Carnegie
[...]
Maybe he'd like Perry Rhodan.

Which I have never read, although I certainly read a lot of similar
stuff when I was young.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-09 17:02:26 UTC
Post by Peter Trei
Post by D B Davis
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
And good riddance.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Thomas Koenig
2020-05-08 17:01:51 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
I'm afraid none of these can hold a candle to real inhospitable
planets.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2015/11/the-exoplanet-from-hell-cloudy-with-a-chance-of-molten-iron-rain/
a***@yahoo.com
2020-05-08 17:17:36 UTC
Werner Herzog made a documentary about people who worked in Antarctica; you have to be nuts. That's also true in the undersea setting of " Starfish" by Peter Watts and in "Rogue Moon" by Algis Budrys.
Ross Presser
2020-05-08 21:25:00 UTC
In "Man in a Cage" by Aldiss, you have to be nuts to go FTL.
Ted Nolan <tednolan>
2020-05-08 22:19:11 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Werner Herzog made a documentary about people who worked in
Antarctica; you have to be nuts. That's also true in the undersea
setting of " Starfish" by Peter Watts and in "Rogue Moon" by Algis
Budrys.
In "Man in a Cage" by Aldiss, you have to be nuts to go FTL.
Well, Placet is a crazy place..
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-05-08 22:27:33 UTC
Post by Ted Nolan <tednolan>
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Post by a***@yahoo.com
Werner Herzog made a documentary about people who worked in
Antarctica; you have to be nuts. That's also true in the undersea
setting of " Starfish" by Peter Watts and in "Rogue Moon" by Algis
Budrys.
In "Man in a Cage" by Aldiss, you have to be nuts to go FTL.
Well, Placet is a crazy place..
Yeah. But they solved that one.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Jack Bohn
2020-05-09 03:13:38 UTC
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

Well, Placet is a crazy place..
Yeah.  But they solved that one.
Not me. I quit.
-Jack
m***@sky.com
2020-05-09 04:26:09 UTC
Long ago I talked with somebody who worked in Antarctica for the British Antarctic Survey, and later had some sort of personnel position with them. The most irritating problem he quoted was having to share a tent with somebody else for so long that all of their peculiarities became grating. He was involved in a capture-recapture experiment with Penguins that he thought completely pointless, because the marked penguins just vanished into a horde of others - so there was some sort of miscommunication between theoreticians in England and workers on site. Apparently people returning were given some time off in a city ?Rio de Janeiro? and he was dubious about this, thinking it caused more problems than working on site in Antarctica.
Jack Bohn
2020-05-08 17:04:26 UTC
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
My first thought was Cannon Ball Express from the Niven story "Flatlander" but spoilers on just how inhospitable it is. I can think of two to five planets in our own system that could be as intractable.

Perhaps "Five Surprisingly Inhospitable Fictional Planets," or is "surprisingly" too much of a clickbait word? "Five Landingbait Fictional Planets."
-Jack
Lynn McGuire
2020-05-08 19:29:04 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
nhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
Two of five for me. _Komarr_ (a truly excellent book published by Baen
- I am astonished that James listed it) and _Cyteen_.

Lynn
t***@gmail.com
2020-05-08 23:56:28 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
nhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
I had forgotten that Komarr would fit, and also thanks for the reminder
of the Anderson story.

When I saw the thread title, I immediately thought "Trenco", "Mesklin",
and "that planet I always forget from Glen Cook's Starfishers books, which
is not called Shadowline", which consistently turns out to be "Blackworld"
every time I look it up.

I'll forget it again - just give me a week or two.
- Tony
Dimensional Traveler
<to be filled in at a later date>
Johnny1A
2020-05-10 05:39:30 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
Five Truly Inhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
nhospitable Fictional Planets
https://www.tor.com/2020/05/08/five-truly-inhospitable-fictional-planets/
Ironically, in a certain sense a planet has to be welcoming in order to be inhospitable.

What I mean by that is that ranking worlds for their degree of nastiness for human presence only works up to a point. Past that point, talking about whether a place is _more_ inhospitable becomes nonsensical, dead is dead. Is Mercury more or less hospitable than Pluto? Either place requires a full-immersion artificial environment.

Places that require _total_ artificial environments for survival are often, paradoxically, more pleasant than marginal places where you _can_ survive outside, barely. Why? Because if you have to go full-artificial environment anyway, it's no harder to make a pleasant, comfortable one than an unpleasant one, for practical purposes. So you might as well make it pleasant.

For comparison, which is the harsher environment, a dry-land battlefield criss-crossed with trenches, dugouts, barbed wire, mines, and with PBI huddling against the icy cold when they aren't crawling through the snow to attack another group of PBI? Or a modern naval warship in the middle of the ocean, even if its in a battle zone?

The naval warship is likely the more pleasant place to be, precisely because the ocean requires a near-total artificial environment _anyway_, so it's just as easy as not to have hot food and heated spaces inside, whereas the poor bloody infantry are in an environment where survival is possible but difficult, which means surviving there is cheaper than carrying the amenities with you.
Robert Carnegie
2020-05-10 07:25:18 UTC
Post by Johnny1A
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
That doesn't exclude disagreement - between men and women
as a cliche - on how to set the thermostat.
pyotr filipivich
2020-06-15 00:53:04 UTC
Post by Johnny1A
Post by James Nicoll
[...]
In short, you have a controlled environment, and the only way to
know what "the weather" is outside is to call the front desk. Sort
of like working in a office building. Aside from gravitational clues,
you could be on Earth, Mars, Mercury, Neptune's north pole, a small
planet near Mars, or in a starship heading out at 1 G acceleration.
--
pyotr filipivich