Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
Lynn McGuire
2020-07-18 18:46:31 UTC
Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2020/07/18

Note to self, stay out of dive bars in Elmira, New York.

Lynn
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-07-18 19:22:14 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2020/07/18
Note to self, stay out of dive bars in Elmira, New York.
You could omit the last three words.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Lynn McGuire
2020-07-20 19:55:56 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2020/07/18
Note to self, stay out of dive bars in Elmira, New York.
You could omit the last three words.
True dat. I have not been in a bar in decades. And I sure am not going
in one now since they are hotbeds of infection here in Texas (and closed
at the moment due to the governors order).

Lynn
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-07-20 22:44:09 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2020/07/18
Note to self, stay out of dive bars in Elmira, New York.
You could omit the last three words.
True dat. I have not been in a bar in decades. And I sure am not going
in one now since they are hotbeds of infection here in Texas (and closed
at the moment due to the governors order).
GOOD.

/googles Texas governor

Well done, Mr. Abbott; keep it up.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Lynn McGuire
2020-07-20 23:12:00 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2020/07/18
Note to self, stay out of dive bars in Elmira, New York.
You could omit the last three words.
True dat. I have not been in a bar in decades. And I sure am not going
in one now since they are hotbeds of infection here in Texas (and closed
at the moment due to the governors order).
GOOD.
/googles Texas governor
Well done, Mr. Abbott; keep it up.
Governor Abbott has got the nursing homes and bars closed. The
restaurants are half closed. Everybody in the state is supposed to wear
a mask. I figure everything else will work its way through things.
Don't touch anyone !

Lynn
Paul S Person
2020-07-21 16:15:18 UTC
On Mon, 20 Jul 2020 18:12:00 -0500, Lynn McGuire
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Over The Hedge: Where Does The Sun Go At Night ?
https://www.gocomics.com/overthehedge/2020/07/18
Note to self, stay out of dive bars in Elmira, New York.
You could omit the last three words.
True dat. I have not been in a bar in decades. And I sure am not going
in one now since they are hotbeds of infection here in Texas (and closed
at the moment due to the governors order).
GOOD.
/googles Texas governor
Well done, Mr. Abbott; keep it up.
Governor Abbott has got the nursing homes and bars closed. The
restaurants are half closed. Everybody in the state is supposed to wear
a mask. I figure everything else will work its way through things.
Don't touch anyone !
There is some evidence suggesting that this actually works:

https://www.yakimaherald.com/special_projects/coronavirus/latest-study-95-now-wearing-masks-in-yakima-county/article_2c31f103-4b99-5bbe-ba89-7f6792e7a12b.html

Mask use climbed from 35% to 95% and the number of new cases
/dropped/. Took a while, of course. This is a county devoted to
agricultural and slaughterhouses -- IOW, they are /all/ vital workers,
producing food, legally in the country or not.

Now we are going to hear about "post hoc, ergo propter hoc".

Not, to be sure, from Trump -- for that is Greek to him -- but from
those of his supporters who are actually educated and other
pandemic-deniers.

But I say: whatever works.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-07-21 17:41:06 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Lynn McGuire
[...]
Nice touch.
Post by Paul S Person
but from
those of his supporters who are actually educated and other
pandemic-deniers.
But I say: whatever works.
Right.

Here's a link to a long and interesting article on the history of
plagues.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/coronavirus-pandemic-plagues-history.html

Among other points, it makes these:

1. Plagues are the result of civilization, when people gather
together in large groups.

2. The result of a plague is frequently a change in the shape of
the culture, often for the better.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
David Goldfarb
2020-07-24 07:03:18 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
2. The result of a plague is frequently a change in the shape of
the culture, often for the better.
Ada Palmer (winner of the Astounding Award, presenter of it,
and all-round amazing person) has a long and excellent article
about plagues and culture: "Black Death, COVID, and Why We Keep
Telling the Myth of a Renaissance Golden Age."

"This post is for you if you've been wondering whether
Black Death => Renaissance means COVID => Golden Age, and you want
a more robust answer than, 'No no no no no!'"

Like most everything else on Ex Urbe, it's well worth a read:
<https://www.exurbe.com/black-death-covid-and-why-we-keep-telling-the-myth-of-a-renaissance-golden-age-and-bad-middle-ages/>
--
David Goldfarb |"As an experimental psychologist I have been
***@gmail.com |trained not to believe anything unless it can be
h***@gmail.com
Thanks for posting that
Quadibloc
2020-07-24 17:17:53 UTC
Post by David Goldfarb
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
2. The result of a plague is frequently a change in the shape of
the culture, often for the better.
Ada Palmer (winner of the Astounding Award, presenter of it,
and all-round amazing person) has a long and excellent article
about plagues and culture: "Black Death, COVID, and Why We Keep
Telling the Myth of a Renaissance Golden Age."
"This post is for you if you've been wondering whether
Black Death => Renaissance means COVID => Golden Age, and you want
a more robust answer than, 'No no no no no!'"
<https://www.exurbe.com/black-death-covid-and-why-we-keep-telling-the-myth-of-a-renaissance-golden-age-and-bad-middle-ages/>
Certainly an interesting article.

Still: back in the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church held absolute power.
Eventually, as the result of events that happened around the time of the
Renaissance, that broke down.

Today, we have societies ruled by elected representatives, in which individuals
enjoy religious liberty. This is an improvement.

So we give props to whatever historical age was responsible for the change,
which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

John Savard
Juho Julkunen
2020-07-24 20:53:38 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Still: back in the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church held absolute power.
Over what?
Post by Quadibloc
Eventually, as the result of events that happened around the time of the
Renaissance, that broke down.
What were these events, and when was the Renaissance?
Juho Julkunen
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-07-24 21:30:21 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
Eventually, as the result of events that happened around the time of the
Renaissance, that broke down.
What were these events, and when was the Renaissance?
The Renaissance "officially began" around 1300. It set in in
Italy around then (probably earlier, but it was in 1300 that
Dante Alighieri *said* he had made his epic journey through Hell,
Purgatory and Paradise, and he spent the rest of his life writing
about it). It was a way of thinking, looking back to classical
times and forward into the future simultaneously, and it changed
... practically everything in Western civilization. It moved
northward from Italy over time, reaching England a few centuries
later.

Although there's the story about how C. S. Lewis was seen by a
friend, crossing the quad, looking very chipper. "Well, Jack,"
said friend, "you're looking very pleased with yourself, What's
happened?"

And Lewis answered, "I think I have just proven that in England
the Renaissance never happened!

"Alternatively," he went on before his friend could get a word in
edgewise, "alternatively, that if it did, it didn't matter."
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Paul S Person
2020-07-25 16:21:16 UTC
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 23:53:38 +0300, Juho Julkunen
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
Still: back in the Middle Ages, the Catholic Church held absolute power.
Over what?
Over most, if not all, of Western Europe. And parts of Eastern Europe,
although a lot of that was Eastern Orthodox.
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
Eventually, as the result of events that happened around the time of the
Renaissance, that broke down.
What were these events, and when was the Renaissance?
The timing of the Renaissance varied by country. The Renaissance
itself was the rediscovery of the Ancient World -- Ptolemy and others.
In some cases, in Arabic translations, although eventually manuscripts
in the original Greek were found lurking about here and there. Muslims
also produced some new ideas, such as algebra, which spread to Europe.
It eventually did produce more modern forms of thinking, such as what
we now call "science" (as opposed to, say, what Plato called
"science").

However, the /major/ event shaking Papal power was the Reformation.
The more unified kingdoms, to be sure, were developing a sense of
identity as, say, "Englishmen" or "Frenchmen" and thier kings were
seeking to rule as they saw fit, but the Pope could put an entire
kingdom under the Inderdict and then declare a Crusade against it,
which gave him the ability to force compliance. This all gets very
complicated in detail.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Kevrob
2020-07-25 18:56:05 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
The power wasn't absolute. "Secular"* authorities could and did
resist the religious center of power. Constantinople/Byzantium
broke with Rome in 1054, as much over political differences
as theological ones. See also the earlier Photian Schism.
Rulers appointed bishops, and fought with church officials
to keep that privilege. Prior to the Reformation in the Western
Church, if a ruler couldn't win an argument with a Pope, he
could get his own Pontiff!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy

That was, admittedly, "going nuclear' for the day.

Kevin R
Kevrob
2020-07-25 19:16:04 UTC
The power wasn't absolute. "Secular"* authorities ..
Re: the asterisk

Many of what we'd now call "secular authorities" were supposedly
legitimized by religion, through the theory of "the divine right
of kings."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings

Kevin R
Paul S Person
2020-07-26 16:08:43 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
As I said, this gets very complicated in detail.

What the Reformation did was allow rulers to claim they were, in fact,
orthodox Christians, delaying the inevitable wars long enough to form
alliances and effectively resist. This was /not/ a particularly good
time to be alive in Europe, that is, not if you didn't want the Thirty
Years War devastating you and yours.

One detail worth noting: Constantinople/Byzantium was Eastern
Orthodox. The Eastern (Byzantine) Empire was /never/ under the power
of the Pope.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
William Hyde
2020-07-26 18:38:06 UTC
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
Or as they would have it, Rome broke with Constantinople. It had been a while since Byzantium had a military presence in Italy. There had been serious disputes before, but with Byzantine troops a hundred or so miles away unity prevailed.

As I recall there were five patriarchs in the old church. Rome claimed to be supreme, Constantinople argued that it and Rome were equal, the others inferior. Alexandria put itself on a level with R and C, Jerusalem claimed special status, while Antioch insisted that all five were equal.

Post by Kevrob
Rulers appointed bishops, and fought with church officials
to keep that privilege.
Even "saint" Edward the confessor was careful to see that the right people were appointed. Henry II of England was less so, resulting in endless trouble for him and centuries-long pilgrimage money for Canterbury.

Post by Kevrob
Church, if a ruler couldn't win an argument with a Pope, he
could get his own Pontiff!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy
That was, admittedly, "going nuclear' for the day.
At one point in this mess no less than three men claimed to be pope.

Well, three credible ones. There were, and are, probably many more.

William Hyde
pete...@gmail.com
2020-07-27 02:27:08 UTC
Post by Kevrob
Church, if a ruler couldn't win an argument with a Pope, he
could get his own Pontiff!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy
That was, admittedly, "going nuclear' for the day.
At one point in this mess no less than three men claimed to be pope.
Well, three credible ones. There were, and are, probably many more.
If you want to go down a very deep rabbit hole, look up

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism
And
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conclavism

The former are Catholics who insist there hasn't been a Real Pope since Vatican 2,
and the latter are Catholics who have come up with a suitable replacement,
naming, if I count right, 15 different men as Pope (things are a bit schismy).

Pt
Kevrob
2020-07-27 03:34:55 UTC
[snip]
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by William Hyde
Post by Kevrob
Prior to the Reformation in the Western
Church, if a ruler couldn't win an argument with a Pope, he
could get his own Pontiff!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy
That was, admittedly, "going nuclear' for the day.
At one point in this mess no less than three men claimed to be pope.
Well, three credible ones. There were, and are, probably many more.
If you want to go down a very deep rabbit hole, look up
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedevacantism
And
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conclavism
The former are Catholics who insist there hasn't been a Real Pope since Vatican 2,
and the latter are Catholics who have come up with a suitable replacement,
naming, if I count right, 15 different men as Pope (things are a bit schismy).
One of those loons trolls a.a
--
Kevin R
a.a #2310
Lawrence Watt-Evans
2020-07-27 05:56:55 UTC
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 11:38:06 -0700 (PDT), William Hyde
Post by Kevrob
Post by Kevrob
Church, if a ruler couldn't win an argument with a Pope, he
could get his own Pontiff!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy
That was, admittedly, "going nuclear' for the day.
At one point in this mess no less than three men claimed to be pope.
Well, three credible ones. There were, and are, probably many more.
If you ask me, Benedict XIII ("Papa Luna") was the legitimate pope,
but was screwed out of it by kings who wanted someone else.
My latest novel is Stone Unturned: A Legend of Ethshar.
See http://www.ethshar.com/StoneUnturned.shtml
Robert Carnegie
(See also https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102303.Why_Didn_t_They_Ask_Evans_ :-)
Paul S Person
2020-07-27 16:01:19 UTC
Post by William Hyde
Post by Juho Julkunen
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
IIRC, the cause of the split was the "filioque" clause. The story that
makes the most sense, given the nature of the creeds, is that this was
needed in the West to exclude certain heresies -- and not desired in
the East as encouraging certain others. This is all very mushy, I must
agree.
Post by William Hyde
As I recall there were five patriarchs in the old church. Rome claimed to be supreme, Constantinople argued that it and Rome were equal, the others inferior. Alexandria put itself on a level with R and C, Jerusalem claimed special status, while Antioch insisted that all five were equal.
I once read (and may still have) an interesting book: the report of an
official (in the sense of recognized by both bodies) joint
Lutheran-Roman Catholic group exploring the Papacy. It made some
interesting points:

-- over time, the importance of a bishop's see varied with the
economic importance of its location
-- by the second or third century, it became apparent that Rome was on
the right side of every controversy

The Bishop of Rome started out in the most prominent city in the
Empire. Being on the right side of every controversy led to a
principle that the Bishop of Rome's position was always the right
position. Things developed from there.
Post by Kevrob
Church, if a ruler couldn't win an argument with a Pope, he
could get his own Pontiff!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avignon_Papacy
That was, admittedly, "going nuclear' for the day.
At one point in this mess no less than three men claimed to be pope.
Well, three credible ones. There were, and are, probably many more.
I'm not sure how far back the current situation goes. The Popes ran a
pretty tight ship, hierarchically speaking [1], from the days of
Avignon to Vatican II. Vatican II, as others have noted, produced some
activity along these lines, as many of its changes were not welcomed
by the more ... traditional ... clergy.

[1] There was a lingering belief that a high-level Church Council
could override the Pope, but that was disputed. And the morals of some
of these Popes were, to say the least, deplorable.
--
"I begin to envy Petronius."
"I have envied him long since."
Robert Carnegie
For people who didn't die or lose loved ones.
James Nicoll
2020-07-24 14:20:54 UTC
If pandemics are beneficial, couldn't we obtain the same benefits by dispersing a large
number of automated killbots programmed to kill people at random? Humanely, of course,
perhaps by stamping the sacrifices to death or slowly peeling their skin off?
James Nicoll
2020-07-24 14:45:51 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
If pandemics are beneficial, couldn't we obtain the same benefits by dispersing a large
number of automated killbots programmed to kill people at random? Humanely, of course,
perhaps by stamping the sacrifices to death or slowly peeling their skin off?
If the killbots are remotely piloted, then US recovery could be funded by expanding
the current bounty system on Americans. People around the world could pay $100,000
a head on safaris. Need a quick trillion, simply issue ten million permits. Humane
and fiscally prudent!
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-07-24 14:59:59 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
If pandemics are beneficial, couldn't we obtain the same benefits by dispersing a large
number of automated killbots programmed to kill people at random? Humanely, of course,
perhaps by stamping the sacrifices to death or slowly peeling their skin off?
If your tongue were any further into your cheek, it would be
wriggling out your ear.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
James Nicoll
2020-07-24 15:17:31 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by James Nicoll
If pandemics are beneficial, couldn't we obtain the same benefits by dispersing a large
number of automated killbots programmed to kill people at random? Humanely, of course,
perhaps by stamping the sacrifices to death or slowly peeling their skin off?
If your tongue were any further into your cheek, it would be
wriggling out your ear.
There doesn't seem to be much that can be done to save Americans from themselves
so one may as well derive amusement from their self-inflicted wounds.

(I feel much the same way about Ontarians surprised that electing Tories inexplicably
results in Tory governments)
Dorothy J Heydt
2020-07-24 14:59:18 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
2. The result of a plague is frequently a change in the shape of
the culture, often for the better.
For people who didn't die
Right.
Post by Robert Carnegie
or lose loved ones.
Unless they inherited money from them, which happened a lot. And
the few remaining clerks were seriously stressed writing out the
paperwork by hand ... which led to steam-engine time for Gutenberg
to invent the printing press.
--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California
www.kithrup.com/~djheydt/
Robert Carnegie
2020-07-24 20:14:26 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by Robert Carnegie
or lose loved ones.
Unless they inherited money from them, which happened a lot. And
the few remaining clerks were seriously stressed writing out the
paperwork by hand ... which led to steam-engine time for Gutenberg
to invent the printing press.
For the paperwork, really?

I'm not sure about "steam engine time" here. Gutenberg
didn't invent printing, of course; the game changing invention
was movable type, except Wikipedia says that also existed
in China's sphere... I don't have clear what "mechanical
moveable type" is, but apparently that's how Gutenberg
made printing practical, along with mass production of
single letters, and other technical improvements to the
printing process, presumably addressing other difficulties
besides having something to print in the first place (the type).
Wikipedia also says "around 1439–40, the Dutch Laurens
Janszoon Coster came up with the idea of printing" but
"probably" died in a plague while allegedly an employee
stole the printing equipment and went off to find Gutenberg...
If true (it feels to me Washington Irving-ish), it doesn't
necessarily give us two inventors ready to do whatever
one of them did.
Quadibloc
2020-07-24 17:13:32 UTC
Post by Robert Carnegie
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Here's a link to a long and interesting article on the history of
plagues.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/07/coronavirus-pandemic-plagues-history.html
1. Plagues are the result of civilization, when people gather
together in large groups.
2. The result of a plague is frequently a change in the shape of
the culture, often for the better.
For people who didn't die or lose loved ones.
Recently, I was looking at a history of Genghis Khan which noted that, at the
time, historians only noted the devastation he caused, but later on we saw the
benefits of bringing distant peoples into contact from his era.

To me, I think it's indecent *even today* to rejoice in those benefits without
putting the deaths of innocents ahead of them. And one of the cited benefits was
that Western contact with India inspired Columbus... not, of course, an
unalloyed benefit from the viewpoint of Native Americans.

John Savard