Nebula Finalists 2003
Add Reply
James Nicoll
2024-09-30 14:16:54 UTC
2003: The United States conducted a swift and decisive war with Iraq,
forever ending conflict in that nation, temperature records were set
that would surely stand for all time, and the word "Unfriend" entered
the vernacular.

Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Picoverse by Robert A. Metzger
Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge
The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin

All but the Gaiman and the Mieville. Funny I'd miss
those two authors in particular.

Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?

Bronte's Egg by Richard Chwedyk
Magic's Price by Bud Sparhawk
Sunday Night Yams at Minnie and Earl's by Adam-Troy Castro
The Chief Designer by Andy Duncan
The Political Officer by Charles Coleman Finlay

Only the Finlay. Honest, my hit rate should go up at some point
(and then fall off a cliff in 2014)

Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?

Hell Is the Absence of God by Ted Chiang
Lobsters by Charles Stross
Madonna of the Maquiladora by Gregory Frost
The Days Between by Allen Steele
The Ferryman's Wife by Richard Bowes
The Pagodas of Ciboure by M. Shayne Bell

All but the Frost.

Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?

Creature by Carol Emshwiller
Creation by Jeffrey Ford
Cut by Megan Lindholm
Little Gods by Tim Pratt
Nothing Ever Happens in Rock City by Jack McDevitt
The Dog Said Bow-Wow by Michael Swanwick

The Emshwiller, the Ford, and the Swanwick (of course).

Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Script's Film Have You Seen?

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J. R. R. Tolkien,
Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, and Peter Jackson
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Once More, with Feeling by Joss Whedon
Shrek by William Steig, Ted Elliott, Terry Rossio, Joe Stillman, and
Roger S. H. Schulman
The Dead Zone - Unreasonable Doubt by Michael Taylor

All but the Taylor. I heard good things about The Dead Zone but never
saw the series.
Robert Woodward
2024-09-30 17:22:27 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2003: The United States conducted a swift and decisive war with Iraq,
forever ending conflict in that nation, temperature records were set
that would surely stand for all time, and the word "Unfriend" entered
the vernacular.
Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Picoverse by Robert A. Metzger
Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge
The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin
All but the Gaiman and the Mieville. Funny I'd miss
those two authors in particular.
None! (this will be repeated in future years)
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
Bronte's Egg by Richard Chwedyk
Magic's Price by Bud Sparhawk
Sunday Night Yams at Minnie and Earl's by Adam-Troy Castro
The Chief Designer by Andy Duncan
The Political Officer by Charles Coleman Finlay
Only the Finlay. Honest, my hit rate should go up at some point
(and then fall off a cliff in 2014)
Sparhawk, Castro, and Finlay.
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
Hell Is the Absence of God by Ted Chiang
Lobsters by Charles Stross
Madonna of the Maquiladora by Gregory Frost
The Days Between by Allen Steele
The Ferryman's Wife by Richard Bowes
The Pagodas of Ciboure by M. Shayne Bell
All but the Frost.
The Stross
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
Creature by Carol Emshwiller
Creation by Jeffrey Ford
Cut by Megan Lindholm
Little Gods by Tim Pratt
Nothing Ever Happens in Rock City by Jack McDevitt
The Dog Said Bow-Wow by Michael Swanwick
The Emshwiller, the Ford, and the Swanwick (of course).
None? (don't remember reading the Lindholm
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Script's Film Have You Seen?
none
‹-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
William Hyde
2024-09-30 20:49:47 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2003: The United States conducted a swift and decisive war with Iraq,
forever ending conflict in that nation, temperature records were set
that would surely stand for all time, and the word "Unfriend" entered
the vernacular.
Which 2003 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Bones of the Earth by Michael Swanwick
Perdido Street Station by China Mieville
Picoverse by Robert A. Metzger
Solitaire by Kelley Eskridge
The Other Wind by Ursula K. Le Guin
All but the Gaiman and the Mieville. Funny I'd miss
those two authors in particular.
The Gaiman did not live up to expectations. I've read the Mieville
twice, but it's not a comfort read. Liked the Swanwick and for some
reason have no memory of the LeGuin, though I'm sure I've read it.

As usual, my hit rate with shorter fiction is embarrassingly low.

William Hyde