"Be the Serpent" by Seanan McGruire (minor notes)
Add Reply
Bobbie Sellers
2024-10-01 04:08:38 UTC
Hello again,

"Be the Serpent" by Seanan McGuire
Another episode in the endless story of October Daye.
Well it looks like the problem is resolved until the
last few pages. Titania was a jealous person and tended
to kill off her sisters' children so the King of Faery
put a binding on her to avoid that problem. But it caused
more problems due to the terms. She was not to leave
a trace behind of her presence until she "became a better
person". Well that was too loose as she had no idea
what a better person she could be, being as she was/is
a Queen of Faery. So she was condemned to reincarnation
as an orphaned changling who would grow up and marry a
suitable match then at crux would kill her children who
were of course all First Born and very powerful if they
were allowed to grow up. October loosed the binding and
Oberon changed the terms.
Also in the book is more backstory in novella
form "Such Dangerous Seas" relating some of the history
of the "Luidaig" aka Antigone of Albany,
known as the Sea Witch.
Book is hard cover, 351 pages from DAW $28.00 USA
Read it or not. McGuire fans have no choice.
But if I had $28 and space for it I would buy it.
bliss
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-01 06:23:48 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
First, Seanan's last name is McGuire. I know it well. There are many
other spellings but ours is the most common (and the best).

I read the MMPB for which I paid $8.99 plus sales tax with free shipping
from Big River since the wife and I have an annual subscription to
Prime. Seanan does not give me anything nor would I ask her to as she
has been making her living from book sales for several years now.

Titania is a horrible fae. I doubt that this will ever change.

My November 3, 2023 review of 5 stars out of 5 stars is at:

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.sf.written/c/Yezpbc9dU9A/m/DaPY-3WPBQAJ

Lynn
Bobbie Sellers
2024-10-06 15:14:42 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
It certainly is and my typo makes me very sad. But my dyslexia
and dyspraxia kept me from realizing you were talking about the
version in the Subject: line. In the meantime Titania(?) sent me
a bad update on October 1 and i slowly fumbled my way back on
line with 6 installs. I intend to back up my present install
as soon as I get everything correct.
I read the MMPB for which I paid $8.99 plus sales tax with free shipping
from Big River since the wife and I have an annual subscription to
Prime.  Seanan does not give me anything nor would I ask her to as she
has been making her living from book sales for several years now.
Titania is a horrible fae.  I doubt that this will ever change.
Seems quite unlikely. A bad influence on all who come near
her. Sometimes it just rubs off on the victims and sometimes she
is quite aggressiv.