[OT] In Usenet limbo for now
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-31 23:24:53 UTC
So in late April, the local admins updated the server I've always posted through,
and all newsreading capabilities went away. I've been reading via google groups,
and trying to decide how I want to proceed re: Usenet.

For now, I'll do this google account/google groups thingy, especially since
I typically only post ~10 times a month anyhow.

But at some point -- when I have more time -- I think I'm going to install tin
(or trn) on my mac laptop. Any advice (on tin vs trn, or on other solutions)
would surely be welcome.

Tony, never a high-volume poster, but not ready to be a complete lurker
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-01 00:13:13 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
So in late April, the local admins updated the server I've always posted through,
and all newsreading capabilities went away. I've been reading via google groups,
and trying to decide how I want to proceed re: Usenet.
For now, I'll do this google account/google groups thingy, especially since
I typically only post ~10 times a month anyhow.
But at some point -- when I have more time -- I think I'm going to install tin
(or trn) on my mac laptop. Any advice (on tin vs trn, or on other solutions)
would surely be welcome.
Tony, never a high-volume poster, but not ready to be a complete lurker
I use Thunderbird on Windows x64 for news access. It is not perfect
buts works well.

I use the news://news.eternal-september.org and news://news.aioe.org
free news servers for general usenet. I also use several other
semi-private news servers.

Good luck !

Lynn
Titus G
2018-06-01 04:08:03 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by t***@gmail.com
So in late April, the local admins updated the server I've always
posted through, and all newsreading capabilities went away. I've
been reading via google groups, and trying to decide how I want to
proceed re: Usenet.
For now, I'll do this google account/google groups thingy,
especially since I typically only post ~10 times a month anyhow.
But at some point -- when I have more time -- I think I'm going to
install tin (or trn) on my mac laptop. Any advice (on tin vs trn,
or on other solutions) would surely be welcome.
Tony, never a high-volume poster, but not ready to be a complete lurker
I use Thunderbird on Windows x64 for news access. It is not perfect
buts works well.
I also use Thunderbird but on Linux Mint.
Post by Lynn McGuire
I use the news://news.eternal-september.org and news://news.aioe.org
free news servers for general usenet. I also use several other
semi-private news servers.
I also use eternal september which has always been brilliant and free.
Being curious, why do you need more than one free server?
(Or if I was a character from a Paarfi History book, "How, you need more
than one free server?").
Lynn McGuire
2018-06-01 18:46:17 UTC
Post by Titus G
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
Some days, E-S does not work. Some days, AIOE does not work. Usually,
those days are not coincident.

Lynn

Interpreter
2018-06-01 01:19:25 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
So in late April, the local admins updated the server I've always posted through,
and all newsreading capabilities went away. I've been reading via google groups,
and trying to decide how I want to proceed re: Usenet.
For now, I'll do this google account/google groups thingy, especially since
I typically only post ~10 times a month anyhow.
But at some point -- when I have more time -- I think I'm going to install tin
(or trn) on my mac laptop. Any advice (on tin vs trn, or on other solutions)
would surely be welcome.
Tony, never a high-volume poster, but not ready to be a complete lurker
With regards to a Usenet client on the Mac, I use Unison by Panic for
mine. It hasn't been updated in a while, but the makers made it free
to all several years back when they stopped development on it. It is
quite full featured.

Regarding servers, I'm not sure if there are any free ones about(I
think there are), but I pay for a subscription through GigaNews.
Probably not the option you were looking for, but depending on how much
you're using UseNet, a pay service is probably your best option.
The Starmaker
2018-06-01 16:47:46 UTC
https://www.freeusenetnews.com/