Uncle Hugo's (1974-2020), Minneapolis s-f book burned down in riots
Add Reply
l***@yahoo.com
2020-05-31 02:04:12 UTC
Found it at alt.obituaries.

http://file770.com/minneapolis-sf-bookstore-burned-another-vandalized/

Minneapolis SF Bookstore Burned, Another Vandalized

Posted on May 30, 2020 by Mike Glyer

Two Minneapolis science fiction landmarks were caught up in the wave of vandalism that struck the city amid protests against the death of George Floyd. Don Blyly’s Uncle Hugo’s bookstore has been burned, and Greg Ketter’s DreamHaven was broken into and damaged.

Uncle Hugo’s, in business since 1974, and neighboring mystery bookstore Uncle Edgar’s since 1980 (also burned), are located near the corner of Lake and Chicago, Uncle Hugo’s is the nation’s oldest surviving sf bookstore.

Owner Don Blyly told Facebook followers:

Friends: I’ve gone past heartsick into angry. This is from Don this morning: Hi Folks,

There was a call from the security company around 3:30 this morning that the motion detector was showing somebody in the building. I threw on clothes and headed over there. When I was 2 blocks away I received a call that the smoke detectors were showing smoke in the store. Every single building on both sides of Chicago was blazing and dozens of people dancing around. As I pulled into the dentist’s lot I could see that flames were leaping out the front windows of the Uncles. It looked to me like they had broken every window on the front of the Uncles and then squirted accelerant through each broken window. It looked hopeless to me, but I went around to the back door to see if I could get to a fire extinguisher. As soon as I opened the back door a wave of very thick black smoke poured out, so I quickly closed the door again… Since Chicago Ave. was full of dancing rioters, broken glass, and flaming debris, I went down the alley and took Lake St. home. There were blocks of Lake St. where every building was blazing. No sign of any cops, national guard troops, or any help.

I’m pretty sure the insurance policy excludes damage from a civil insurrection, so I suspect I won’t get a cent for either the building or the contents.

I am starting to investigate the best crowdsourcing to rebuild. Any donations – well – I’ll need to find where to send them

Located about two miles away, Greg Ketter’s Dreamhaven Books, Comics and Art was vandalized but not destroyed. Glass was broken and bookcases turned over.

DreamHaven’s Wendy Comeau said on Facebook:

We have a crew at DreamHaven. They smashed the front door, came in and smashed a lot of other glass, tried to bash their way into an empty cash box, and tried to set the store on fire. They took a few things, but so much was tossed around that it will be a while before we can figure it out.

Lots of cleaning is happening, glass slivers are everywhere. If anybody nearby has an industrial vacuum cleaner, that might be good for glass slivers.

Right now, we’re trying to get some cleaning done and not answering the phone, but feel free to swing by and chip in. Many thanks to everybody who already have.

[Thanks to Joyce Scrivner and Joe Sherry for the story.]

This entry was posted in Poor Trufan's Almanack and tagged Don Blyly, DreamHaven Books, Greg Ketter, Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore by Mike Glyer. Bookmark the permalink.

https://maxonwriting.com/2020/05/30/uncle-hugos-bookstore-in-minneapolis-burned-down-during-riots-gofundme-open/

Uncle Hugo’s Bookstore in Minneapolis Burned Down During Riots, GoFundMe Open (Now Paused)

So this one hit me a little.

I’ve never been to Minneapolis (and this post will not be about the rioting or the situations associated with it, as I’m not trying to invite a firestorm of angry, opinionated people). I’ve never once set foot in Uncle Hugo’s Science Fiction Bookstore. I’ve never even ordered from them.

But I have heard stories about them. This is the place that picked up a self-pub book to sell before indie was a real thing and started sending it to publishers with notes along the lines of ‘here’s how many copies I bought, why are you not publishing this?’ From the stories I’ve heard at cons and from other authors, they’ve flat-out kickstarted a lot of careers.

The store itself is only halfway regarded as a store by many, given that the owner loved collecting rare Sci-Fi books. Many also referred to it as a “museum of Science Fiction literature.”

And well … last night it was burned to the ground. Complete loss. Here’s a picture of what the place normally looked like:

Given the stories I’ve heard about this place, this one hit even me. I’ve never even been there but I’ve heard the stories.

Worse, it seems that the insurance will not cover civil disturbance. At least, not to the degree that would be needed to recover from such a loss.

A GoFundMe page has been started to raise funds for recovery from this. EDIT: The GoFundMe has been paused while the owner works out his options. The GoFundMe was started by a fan, who has paused it at their request. If a GoFundMe by the owner goes up, I’ll update this link.

May 30, 2020

(end of post)
h***@gmail.com
2020-05-31 02:47:52 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Found it at alt.obituaries.
http://file770.com/minneapolis-sf-bookstore-burned-another-vandalized/
Minneapolis SF Bookstore Burned, Another Vandalized
Posted on May 30, 2020 by Mike Glyer
Two Minneapolis science fiction landmarks were caught up in the wave of vandalism that struck the city amid protests against the death of George Floyd. Don Blyly’s Uncle Hugo’s bookstore has been burned, and Greg Ketter’s DreamHaven was broken into and damaged.
Note that the Governor, Minneapolis Mayor, Mayor of St Paul and MN Attorney General are all saying that the majority of problems at the protests have been caused by people from out of state

White nationalist groups are posting about going there, looting and stirring up problems

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1266741059163389952
has comments from a press conference they ran

Apparently the Atlanta Hall of Fame was looted by people not from Atlanta...
Magewolf
2020-05-31 03:18:51 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
A. They always blame "outsider" for all the problems so they can get
around actually having to do anything about it. And by that I mean
Republican and Democratic civic leaders.

B. Think before you repeat stuff. I am sure all the dark skinned
people in the reams of video of the looting and burning are white
nationalist just like they were the last time this happened and the time
before that and the time before that and so on.
J. Clarke
2020-05-31 05:34:42 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
I dunno how old everybody is, but if you're old enough you should
remember the Civil Rights movement all being the fault of "outside
agitators". When some government official says "outside agitators" he
generally means "people who expect their civil rights to be
recognized".
Quadibloc
2020-05-31 06:24:57 UTC
I dunno how old everybody is, but if you're old enough you should
remember the Civil Rights movement all being the fault of "outside
agitators". When some government official says "outside agitators" he
generally means "people who expect their civil rights to be
recognized".
Oh, yes, I'm old enough to remember that. Apparently, if it wasn't for those New
York Jews, the black people of the Deep South would never have known they had a
problem.

2020-05-31 06:20:55 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
White guy in Salt Lake City bringing a bow and shooting arrows into the crowd
https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1266898528422551553

Cops stealing from pharmacies during 2015 unrest
https://reason.com/2018/02/13/two-baltimore-police-officers-found-guil/?amp
another cop was implicated but coincidentally was shot and killed the day before his appearance at the court

Salt Late City shoving an older white guy with a cane to the ground
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/gtov7e/police_in_salt_lake_city_shove_an_old_man_with_a/

New York Cop Car drives through crowd
https://globalnews.ca/news/7008288/nypd-protesters-george-floyd/
(note that there are things being thrown at another police car, it appears to be by white people where I saw the thrower)

Cop shoves woman to ground triggers seizure
https://abc7ny.com/brooklyn-protests-video-shows-nypd-officer-shoving-woman-to-ground/6221538/

White Guy in Minneapolis breaking windows

Several reporters have been arrested on camera

There's video footage showing police deliberately shooting at media
https://fox40.com/news/police-appear-to-shoot-tv-reporter-photographer-with-pepper-balls/

a pickup drove through protestors
https://twitter.com/MayorOfTLH/status/1266804580316258310

and of course not every black person is associated with protestors
Paul S Person
2020-05-31 17:00:50 UTC
Post by Magewolf
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by l***@yahoo.com
[...]
That is the tradition ... but what if it is true that the damage /is/
mostly being done by people not from the city it is occurring in?
Anarchist or alt-right or both.
Post by Magewolf
B. Think before you repeat stuff. I am sure all the dark skinned
people in the reams of video of the looting and burning are white
nationalist just like they were the last time this happened and the time
before that and the time before that and so on.
This time you may be in for a shock, who can say?
2020-05-31 06:23:58 UTC
I don't like the rioting and looting at all.

Not just because of the innocent victims who will have suffered serious losses of
property.

But also because I remember what happened after the Rodney King riots. The man who
captured what the police were doing lost his job and family, his "life was
ruined"... because a lot of people there blamed him for the riots.

There is understandable anger among black people about what keeps happening... but
there are also people who take advantage of an opportunity to engage in looting.

2020-05-31 06:26:55 UTC
But also because I remember what happened after the Rodney King riots. The man who
captured what the police were doing lost his job and family, his "life was
ruined"... because a lot of people there blamed him for the riots.
And it should be obvious what that means - the next time the police mistreat a
black man, a white man with a phone... will be tempted to keep the phone in his
pocket and forget about it.

So these riots can help to prevent justice.

2020-05-31 07:17:03 UTC
On Sat, 30 May 2020 23:26:55 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
But also because I remember what happened after the Rodney King riots. The man who
captured what the police were doing lost his job and family, his "life was
ruined"... because a lot of people there blamed him for the riots.
And it should be obvious what that means - the next time the police mistreat a
black man, a white man with a phone... will be tempted to keep the phone in his
pocket and forget about it.
You do know that black people have phones do you not?
2020-05-31 09:49:44 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
And it should be obvious what that means - the next time the police mistreat a
black man, a white man with a phone... will be tempted to keep the phone in his
pocket and forget about it.
You do know that black people have phones do you not?
Yes. And some of them even have those fancy newfangled smartphones with cameras
in them, not the kind that is at home, attached to the wall with a wire.

However, just because white people aren't the only possible witnesses doesn't
mean it isn't a bad thing to lose them.

2020-05-31 13:34:13 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
And it should be obvious what that means - the next time the police mistreat a
black man, a white man with a phone... will be tempted to keep the phone in his
pocket and forget about it.
You do know that black people have phones do you not?
Yes. And some of them even have those fancy newfangled smartphones with cameras
in them, not the kind that is at home, attached to the wall with a wire.
However, just because white people aren't the only possible witnesses doesn't
mean it isn't a bad thing to lose them.
If there are "outside agitators" it isn't yet clear who they ll
may be.

[quote]

Officials blame differing groups of ‘outsiders’ for violence

By Michael Balsamo and Kathleen Hennessey

But the state and federal officials have offered differing
assessments of who the outsiders are. They’ve blamed left-wing
extremists, far-right white nationalists and even suggested the
involvement of drug cartels. These leaders have offered little
evidence to back up those claims, and the chaos of the protests
makes verifying identities and motives exceedingly difficult.

[/quote] https://apnews.com/93776458f930fdb4250bd1af62a481e3

Journalism has been called "the first draft of history."
First drafts often need revisions.

There's no reason these protests and riots couldn't have
attracted disparate groups. with differing agendas.

2020-05-31 13:51:29 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
Well here's a demo of some of the cop's greatest hits
https://twitter.com/AnnaKendrick47/status/1266963846649933824
Includes riding a horse over somebody
Driving a car through a crowd
Various macings of people posing no threat...

and here's videos and stories of them targeting journalists
https://twitter.com/KABGreek/status/1266954839864598529
h***@gmail.com
2020-05-31 15:46:27 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
and here's police kicking a protester who's sitting down after they've maced her

https://twitter.com/the7goonies/status/1266989439160590336

Looks like police are doing a lot of escalating...
h***@gmail.com
2020-05-31 15:56:47 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
cop at a protest flicking a white power sign (yes, they've stolen it. The swastika wasn't originally a Nazi sign either)

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266994073501487104
h***@gmail.com
2020-05-31 16:06:43 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
kneeling on somebody's neck is bad you say?
https://twitter.com/mattmillsphoto/status/1266960081389629440
Magewolf
2020-05-31 14:39:27 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
Kevin R
It is always "safer" to blame outsiders during these messes. Getting up
there and saying a group of your own citizens were happy to take the
first chance to go on a lawless rampage makes you look bad. And in
these times could completely tank your career since the vast majority of
the rampagers are not white.

Which is why you are getting all these stories( with little to no
actual evidence) about outsiders coming in and taking over these
completely peaceful protests and forcing these poor innocent, will-less
people to loot and burn.
Paul S Person
2020-05-31 17:04:40 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
At least one mayor, IIRC, has stated that /all/ of the rioters
arrested on one night were /not/ from the area.

This sort of thing can be checked, eventually. Records are kept of
arrests, addresses are written down, photos are taken.
Major Oz

That doesn't fit the narrative
J. Clarke
2020-05-31 18:10:56 UTC
Post by Quadibloc
[...]
And it's typical of the government to blame everybody but the asshole
cop who could have prevented the whole mess by not being an asshole.

Of course pointing that out might lead the cops to stage a coup.