"Long past dues" by James J. Butcher
Add Reply
Bobbie Sellers
2024-09-22 06:03:06 UTC
Here I am again with some notes

-- "Long past dues" by James J. Butcher. This is a gripping tale of a
young barely trained witch named Grimsby, who is working for the Bureau
of Unorthodox Affairs but fells neglected as all he is assigned to do is
routine matters like reminding shape-shifters to report to the Asylum in
time to avoid the Full Moon's effects. His partner is a a older man
named Mayflower aka the The Huntsman. He kills the bad unorthodox aka
non-human and it has worn him down. He is missing work which is one
reason Grimsby is only assigned the lowest level work. Grimsby manages
to get Mayflower moving again and gets involved with a case involving an
unknown ritual. It all gets unsatisfactorially resolved as Grimsby
future happiness is threatened. But it is resolved and Grimsby saves a
life. I see I have left out Woozle the goblin like creature who wants
to get back to his own world and who causes Grimsby some problems.

bliss

b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
BCFD 36
2024-09-24 20:12:55 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
This doesn't answer the question, "Is it any good?"
--
----------------

Dave Scruggs
Senior Software Engineer - Lockheed Martin, et. al (mostly Retired)
Captain - Boulder Creek Fire (Retired)
Board of Directors - Boulder Creek Fire Protection District (What was I
thinking?)
Bobbie Sellers
2024-09-24 20:47:11 UTC
Post by BCFD 36
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
Oh I think that whether it is good or not depends on the
audience. As for me I enjoyed it very much.

bliss
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
Lynn McGuire
2024-09-26 22:53:24 UTC
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
Wait, this is not a Dresden book ?

Ah, this is the son of Jim Butcher.

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Past-Dues-Unorthodox-Chronicles/dp/0593440439/

Lynn
Bobbie Sellers
2024-09-26 23:07:10 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Post by Bobbie Sellers
[...]
Did I say otherwise? "James J. Butcher" is on the first line of the
notes. Maybe his talent is genetic or maybe environmental, absorbed by
James J. Butcher as he grew up in Jim Butcher's home.
Though I loved the Dresden files I am glad we have another
generation of a popular fantasy writer in play.

It will take people's mind off the inevitable Global Warming
Catastrophe much better than your denials.

bliss
--
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com