SOT: Dr. Who on Disney?
Add Reply
BillGill
2024-09-20 13:29:19 UTC
I saw a while back that Disney+ is carrying Dr. Who now.
Has anybody seen it and has it been all Disneyfied?

Bill
Gary R. Schmidt
2024-09-20 14:42:27 UTC
Post by BillGill
I saw a while back that Disney+ is carrying Dr. Who now.
Has anybody seen it and has it been all Disneyfied?
Yes/no/sort of.

The Disney broadcast/streamed stuff *is* Disney-fied, but the
BBC-released stuff is for those with sterner constitutions. I.e. 5
year-olds.

IOW - get it from anywhere but Disney.

Cheers,
Gary B-)
The Doctor
2024-09-20 15:04:35 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Post by BillGill
I saw a while back that Disney+ is carrying Dr. Who now.
Has anybody seen it and has it been all Disneyfied?
Yes/no/sort of.
The Disney broadcast/streamed stuff *is* Disney-fied, but the
BBC-released stuff is for those with sterner constitutions. I.e. 5
year-olds.
IOW - get it from anywhere but Disney.
Cheers,
Gary B-)
The Disney partnership does nothing to help doctor Who.
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nk.ca Ici ***@nk.ca
Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism ;
Paul S Person
2024-09-20 16:07:57 UTC
On Sat, 21 Sep 2024 00:42:27 +1000, "Gary R. Schmidt"
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Post by BillGill
I saw a while back that Disney+ is carrying Dr. Who now.
Has anybody seen it and has it been all Disneyfied?
Yes/no/sort of.
The Disney broadcast/streamed stuff *is* Disney-fied, but the
BBC-released stuff is for those with sterner constitutions. I.e. 5
year-olds.
IOW - get it from anywhere but Disney.
Back in the 80s, we recorded on VHS (T-120 SLP, six hours) about three
hours of a particular TV station starting at Midnight. We did this
because the early-morning programming included Dr Who. The problem is
that /when/ it appeared was hard to predict, as it depended on how
much of the time had been sold to infomercials and so on.

We then fast-forward to the start of Dr Who and watched it the next
morning.

We were not 5-year-olds. We were Science Fiction fans.

But thanks for one more reason to not sign up for Disney streaming.

It's a pity they can't put their efforts into producing films worth
watching. The last one I saw (/Wish/) was a downer from beginning to
end.
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
Cryptoengineer
2024-09-20 18:01:06 UTC
Post by Gary R. Schmidt
Post by BillGill
[...]
I'd like to point out one diamond in Disney's mud.

'Andor'

Its a Star Wars series, but unlike to childish garbage of the rest
of the D+ SW output, it's actually *good*.

Its a prequel to 'Rogue One', tracing the gradual radicalization
of Cassian Andor, that film's protagonist. Its set in the very
early days of the Rebellion, perhaps 15 years before A New Hope.

Its a far more complex, mature story than most of SW. There are
no Force users, no Jedi, very few aliens, (almost) no space battles,
no cute animals or children. This is Star Wars for intelligent
adults.

It's people, on both sides, dealing with their
situations living in the banality of Imperial evil, either working
to support it, or trying to survive it, and gradually realizing
they need to rebel.

Go to youtube, and search out 'Andor', and you'll find dozens
of review videos (many spoilery) raving about the show.

Warning: It starts out slow. You'll probably need to get to
episode 4 before things start coming together.

One clip, minor spoiler:

pt