“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
Add Reply
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-03 02:07:33 UTC
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”

https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-to-take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/

“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”

Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.

Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?

Lynn
Cryptoengineer
2024-10-03 14:41:28 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-to-
take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
Perhaps Robert Aspirin's "MythAdventures" series.

I've read plenty of shorts where people try (and sometimes
succeed) to use 'three wishes' safely.

pt
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-03 19:53:40 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-
to- take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
Perhaps Robert Aspirin's "MythAdventures" series.
I've read plenty of shorts where people try (and sometimes
succeed) to use 'three wishes' safely.
pt
I have read those same short stories. They always go bad for the
wisher. My favorite is that the wisher becomes the jinn and it tied to
the bottle / artifact.

Lynn
Dimensional Traveler
2024-10-04 01:30:36 UTC
Post by Cryptoengineer
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-
to- take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
Perhaps Robert Aspirin's "MythAdventures" series.
I've read plenty of shorts where people try (and sometimes
succeed) to use 'three wishes' safely.
pt
I have read those same short stories.  They always go bad for the
wisher.  My favorite is that the wisher becomes the jinn and it tied to
the bottle / artifact.
The Twilight Zone version had the wisher wishing to become the wish giver.
dirty old man.
Paul S Person
2024-10-03 16:58:03 UTC
On Wed, 2 Oct 2024 21:07:33 -0500, Lynn McGuire
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-to-take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
/The Book of the Thousand Nights and One Night/ has several stories
involving jinn. Including one that answers the question "How do you
get the jinn back in the bottle?".
--
"Here lies the Tuscan poet Aretino,
Who evil spoke of everyone but God,
Giving as his excuse, 'I never knew him.'"
-dsr-
2024-10-03 19:15:33 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
Jinn feature in Poul Anderson's OPERATION CHAOS.

It is a spoiler as to whether or not a djinn is acting in Saladin Ahmed's
THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, but the possibility is discussed fairly early.

Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series has djinn playing a significant role.

-dsr-
Don_from_AZ
2024-10-04 04:11:05 UTC
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
Jinn feature in Poul Anderson's OPERATION CHAOS.
It is a spoiler as to whether or not a djinn is acting in Saladin Ahmed's
THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, but the possibility is discussed fairly early.
Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series has djinn playing a significant role.
-dsr-
The Rakasha play pretty much the role of Jinn in Zelazny's "Lord of
Light".

And of course there is Jinnicky, the Red Jinn from Ev, in several of the
later Ruth Plumly Thompson "OZ" books.

-Don-
Lynn McGuire
2024-10-04 20:28:45 UTC
Post by Don_from_AZ
Post by -dsr-
Post by Lynn McGuire
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
Jinn feature in Poul Anderson's OPERATION CHAOS.
It is a spoiler as to whether or not a djinn is acting in Saladin Ahmed's
THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON, but the possibility is discussed fairly early.
Rachel Caine's Weather Warden series has djinn playing a significant role.
-dsr-
The Rakasha play pretty much the role of Jinn in Zelazny's "Lord of
Light".
And of course there is Jinnicky, the Red Jinn from Ev, in several of the
later Ruth Plumly Thompson "OZ" books.
-Don-
I am not a big fan of Zelazny's "Lord Of Light".

Lynn

William Hyde
2024-10-03 21:25:34 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-to-take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
"Declare" by Tim Powers.

If you are at all interested in cold war spy novels and also fantasy, a
must.

William Hyde
2024-10-04 08:33:33 UTC
Post by William Hyde
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-to-take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry out
many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go well
for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
"Declare" by Tim Powers.
If you are at all interested in cold war spy novels and also fantasy, a must.
William Hyde
Ahhh... that's the one I was trying to remember when djinns where
mentioned. Thank you William. I read it many years ago and enjoyed it.
Solid 3.5/5.
Robert Carnegie
2024-10-03 22:10:36 UTC
Post by Lynn McGuire
“Muslim academic claims Israel used jinn to take out Hezbollah’s chieftain”
https://www.wnd.com/2024/10/muslim-academic-claims-israel-used-jinn-to-take-out-hezbollahs-chieftain/
“’Considering the Zionists’ history of subjugating genies, they carry
out many of their missions through this means’”
Yes ! Although, all the stories that I have read of jinns did not go
well for the caller of the jinn.
Are there any good SF/F stories involving jinns ?
There's an episode in Terry Pratchett's
_Sourcery_ where a genie turns up as
basically a 1980s property-owning landlord
?but with magic lamps, and hard to get
service from for /your/ lamp. I suspect
that the date of writing that story can be
narrowed down minutely.

And of course you may search James Nicoll's
reviews web site for words jinn, djinn,
genie, and any other spelling or theological
distinctions that you can recall, I'm afrit.

This does get you Taiyo Fujii's _Gene Mapper_,
a novel of plant genetic engineering gone wrong,
not as wrong as /that/ since I assume that
James refers to "genies-escaping–from-their-bottle
moments" only as a figure of speech about
genetic engineered species which escape from
controlled experimentation and which are difficult
to round up.