Nebula Finalists 2002
Add Reply
James Nicoll
2024-09-23 14:31:29 UTC
2002: People across the interweb tubes embraced blogging, WorldCom's
earning report was inexplicably snubbed by the World Fantasy Award,
and the SARS pandemic taught the world a valuable lesson about disease
control it would surely never forget.

Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?

The Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Eternity's End by Jeffrey A. Carver
Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis
Passage by Connie Willis
The Collapsium by Wil McCarthy
The Tower at Stony Wood by Patricia A. McKillip

I have a decent hit rate for this category: the Asaro, the Landis,
the Willis, and the McCarthy. Avoided the Martin as the series was
not at that time finished, I've never been able to finish a Carver
(no idea why) and I will probably track down the McKillip. I might
own it.

My hit rate plummets after novels.

Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?

The Ultimate Earth by Jack Williamson
A Roll of the Dice by Catherine Asaro
May Be Some Time by Brenda W. Clough
Radiant Green Star by Lucius Shepard
The Diamond Pit by Jack Dann

Just the Shepard.

Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?

Louise's Ghost by Kelly Link
Auspicious Eggs by James Morrow
Dance of the Yellow-Breasted Luddites by William Shunn
The Pottawatomie Giant by Andy Duncan
To Kiss the Star by Amy Sterling Casil
Undone by James Patrick Kelly

Only the Kelly.

Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?

The Cure for Everything by Severna Park
Kaddish for the Last Survivor by Michael A. Burstein
Mom and Dad at the Home Front by Sherwood Smith
The Elephants on Neptune by Mike Resnick
Wound the Wind by George Zebrowski

Only the Smith. I should do a piece on PNH anthologies.

Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Script's Film Have You Seen?
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon by James Schamus, Kuo Jung Tsai,
and Hui-Ling Wang
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Body by Joss Whedon
O Brother, Where Art Thou? by Ethan Coen and Joel Coen
X-Men by Tom Desanto, Bryan Singer, and David Hayter

All of them.
Robert Woodward
2024-09-23 17:04:23 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2002: People across the interweb tubes embraced blogging, WorldCom's
earning report was inexplicably snubbed by the World Fantasy Award,
and the SARS pandemic taught the world a valuable lesson about disease
control it would surely never forget.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
The Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Eternity's End by Jeffrey A. Carver
Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis
Passage by Connie Willis
The Collapsium by Wil McCarthy
The Tower at Stony Wood by Patricia A. McKillip
I have a decent hit rate for this category: the Asaro, the Landis,
the Willis, and the McCarthy. Avoided the Martin as the series was
not at that time finished, I've never been able to finish a Carver
(no idea why) and I will probably track down the McKillip. I might
own it.
The Landis (read in 2012) and the McKillip (read in 2009).
Post by James Nicoll
My hit rate plummets after novels.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
The Ultimate Earth by Jack Williamson
A Roll of the Dice by Catherine Asaro
May Be Some Time by Brenda W. Clough
Radiant Green Star by Lucius Shepard
The Diamond Pit by Jack Dann
Just the Shepard.
The Williamson and the Clough (both were in Analog)
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novelettes Have You Read?
Louise's Ghost by Kelly Link
Auspicious Eggs by James Morrow
Dance of the Yellow-Breasted Luddites by William Shunn
The Pottawatomie Giant by Andy Duncan
To Kiss the Star by Amy Sterling Casil
Undone by James Patrick Kelly
Only the Kelly.
None?
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Short Stories Have You Read?
The Cure for Everything by Severna Park
Kaddish for the Last Survivor by Michael A. Burstein
Mom and Dad at the Home Front by Sherwood Smith
The Elephants on Neptune by Mike Resnick
Wound the Wind by George Zebrowski
Only the Smith. I should do a piece on PNH anthologies.
I think the Burstein.
Post by James Nicoll
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Script's Film Have You Seen?
None of course
‹-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward ***@drizzle.com
Scott Dorsey
2024-09-23 23:16:39 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2002: People across the interweb tubes embraced blogging, WorldCom's
earning report was inexplicably snubbed by the World Fantasy Award,
and the SARS pandemic taught the world a valuable lesson about disease
control it would surely never forget.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
I have not read any of the Nebula novels but I did read Worldcom's
annual report and it was... quite a thing. Didn't mention massive
reputation losses due to email spam once.
--scott
William Hyde
2024-09-23 20:55:57 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
2002: People across the interweb tubes embraced blogging, WorldCom's
earning report was inexplicably snubbed by the World Fantasy Award,
and the SARS pandemic taught the world a valuable lesson about disease
control it would surely never forget.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novels Have You Read?
The Quantum Rose by Catherine Asaro
A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin
Eternity's End by Jeffrey A. Carver
Mars Crossing by Geoffrey A. Landis
Passage by Connie Willis
The Collapsium by Wil McCarthy
The Tower at Stony Wood by Patricia A. McKillip
I have a decent hit rate for this category: the Asaro, the Landis,
the Willis, and the McCarthy. Avoided the Martin as the series was
not at that time finished, I've never been able to finish a Carver
(no idea why) and I will probably track down the McKillip. I might
own it.
I've read the Martin, the Willis and (thanks for the recommendation)
the McCarthy.
Post by James Nicoll
My hit rate plummets after novels.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
The Ultimate Earth by Jack Williamson
Has anyone considered the possibility that Williamson was a member of
the Howard families?

William Hyde
Bobbie Sellers
2024-09-23 23:46:59 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
My hit rate plummets after novels.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
The Ultimate Earth by Jack Williamson
Has anyone considered  the possibility that Williamson was a member of
the Howard families?
William Hyde
I doubt it as he passed in 2006.
bliss
b l i s s - S F 4 e v e r at D S L E x t r e m e dot com
William Hyde
2024-09-24 20:57:08 UTC
Post by James Nicoll
My hit rate plummets after novels.
Which 2002 Nebula Finalist Novellas Have You Read?
The Ultimate Earth by Jack Williamson
Has anyone considered  the possibility that Williamson was a member of
the Howard families?
William Hyde
    I doubt it as he passed in 2006.
     bliss
But he would be an early generation Howard. Not all of them lived as
long as Smith.

William Hyde